Magnetic clamp drill

I saw one of these in use, drilling holes in steel beams. Just the thing for drilling holes in steel when you can't put the work in a drill press. There's a large electromagnet that clamps the drill on to the work. Terribly expensive, but I guess I could make or buy a cheaper version using screw clamps

it's a bit dangerous if the power fails while it's drilling, because the magnet unclamps while the drill is still turning.

Reply to
Matty F

Since these tend to be used where reasonable sized holes are needed, the rotation speed is unlikely to be that high...

I would expect there is more danger from the thing falling off and landing on you without worrying about the spinning bits!

Reply to
John Rumm

I've always thought that those horrible small drill presses were totally useless. But lately I've had to drill holes or drill out rivets in pieces of machinery that are too large to put in a big drill press. Perhaps a small drill press could be clamped to the piece being drilled. It would be more accurate than a hand-held drill, and more force could be applied using the geared arms.

Reply to
Matty F

drill

turning.

Extremely useful, and one of those tools I don't use very often, but when I do practically nothing else fits the bill. Mine has interlocks between the magnet and drill, so no drilling without the magnet being on. Also you need to fit a safely chain when drilling upside down. As others have said, the drill speed is slow, and they are intended for the Rotabroach style of 'core drills' that remove a slug of metal rather than everything coming out as swarf. Mine has a 2 morse taper spindle so will also take normal taper shank drills, and plain drill adaptor chucks as well as the 19mm Rotabroach adaptor.

AWEM.

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

That is poor design.. it is quite possible to use permanent magnets to hold on and electricity (or mechanics) to release.

Reply to
dennis

Ah yes, Mr Genius strikes again, despite having never used either a magnetically clamped drill, nor a magnetic chuck (with either sort of magnet).

Have you felt the weight of permanent magnet chucks?

Have you used one of these drills at height, where they're often needed to be used?

Have you seen the price of permanent magnet chucks, compared to electromagnets?

Have you seen the complexity of making a permanent magnet chuck that has a high force through a narrow pole piece and a large gap to the workpiece? OK, so this is much easier with high-flux rare-earth magnets than it used to be with with Alnico, but it's still hard. You can make a higher flux with an electromagnet (and easily), so QE- fecking-D.

The one thing we know about these drills is that they're going to need a power supply to them. Power supplies are generally reliable, and there are safety chains for those rare occasions when they're not.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Get yourself a cheap drill stand and glue some rare earth magnets to the underside of the base. There is room under mine, the base seems to be aluminium so the glue is advised.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

Who is talking about chucks? Its a magnetic base and need not be heavy or complex. You can buy a magnet with 250kg of load that only weighs about 100g.

Reply to
dennis

They're a controllable magnetic clamping device using permanent magnets, big enough to resist a significant force. You're talking about quite a different device from the sort of magnetic base used under a DTI

So how do you remove it, if it's not switchable?

Most importantly, a "magnet that holds 250kg" is talking about an ideal situation against flat steel. That's not the working conditions a magnetically clamped drill has to cope with.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Thanks but I know what they are but as I said who was talking about magnetic chucks?

Am I talking about them?

Its not difficult to switch them, all you need is some sliding iron bits.

You need a lot of coils or a lot of current to do better.

Reply to
dennis

I may end up making the whole drill stand. Sometimes there is not much room for anything very high. Every job is different. In one job I'll have to drill sideways into steel inside a small hole cut in concrete, and the nearest power supply is hundreds of metres away so I may use a generator. Or a long cable across a road! I am thinking about using a number of welding magnets to stop the drill moving around, plus some G clamps as well so I can apply force to the drill bit. It doesn't matter how long the drilling takes. But a hand held drill would be hopeless.

Reply to
Matty F