Made an evaporative air cooler today...

Already have a fairly large 20" box fan, so bought 8 cheap and cheerful hand towels, wet them well and hung each one over a hanger in front of the fan, with a gap of 2" in between.

Noted that the side nearest the fan dries quickest, so doubled up a third of the towel on this side (so half with two layers, half with one)

Also noted that the best cooling is had when the towels are quite damp but not wringing wet.

Anyway, got an air temp of 26°C coming out of the cooler vs. a room temp of 34°C, so quite nice when sitting in front of it. Room humidity wasn't changed much at 45-50%.

Also bought a cheap pump sprayer to keep the towels damp, looks like spraying the tops every 30 mins with half a litre of water works well without them getting dripping wet.

Tomorrow might make a frame of strip wood to hang the towels on and so keeps each side 1" apart to double the number of layers. Also under consideration is making a 'tray' of thick polythene with rows of very small perforations to make it easier to keep the towels damp.

Currently giving 23°C vs a room temp of 30°C so will have to turn off soon as am getting a bit chilly!

So, if you have a large fan and need some extra cooling it might be worth a try... Even putting damp laundry on an airer and blowing air though it should lower the air temperature some way.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Interesting bit of DIY - personally I'd question increasing the humidity or the air in the house any further, but if the results suit you then congratulations! Try overnight - see if it helps getting a decent nights kip in this weather.

Reply to
Mike Dodd

Pete C used his keyboard to write :

Try hanging lower edge of the towels in a tray of water, capillary action might be enough to draw the water up.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Capillary matting from a garden shop?

Reply to
Bob Eager

Nice to see someone else has also found they can work. There seems to be a fair bit of argument over evap coolers in our damp climate. From what I've observed, they do work at providing cooling in a small zone right in front of the fan, and if youre willing to sit next to one this makes quite a comfort difference on hot days. The requirements for cooling a building and just providing a local coolspot are different.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Best way of getting a decent nights kip is to have ceiling fans. I've got them in every room apart from kitchen & bathrooom. About £25 each and take

30 mins to install max. Often wondered why more people don't have them.
Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Actually, in my case, the fear that an adventurous sex life and 8 foot ceilings might not peacefully co-exist.

Reply to
Mike Dodd

They will work ATM as the RH is only about 50%. Try it tonight when the thunderstorms are about and the RH is 100% and the results will be different. They don't work for most of the uncomfortable time in the UK is a more accurate statement.

Reply to
dennis

You lack imagination.

Reply to
dennis

Mike Dodd wrote: [ceiling fans]

Take out life assurance and declare August is Woman On Top Month.

The payout will pay for air-conditioning and an open top sports car.

A win, win, win situation.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The message from "The Medway Handyman" contains these words:

Low ceilings.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from Mike Dodd contains these words:

You might have to put the pole-vaulting pole away for a while.

Reply to
Guy King

Are you suggesting that you are "My friend Billy" ? But then that was a rake, rather than a fan. :-)

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

Yes. But its easy to design ones for low ceilings, touch safe ones, I dont know why theyre not on sale. It would be a very low profile tangential fan with powder coated gauze cover. Maybe manufacturers lack any imagination.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

The message from snipped-for-privacy@care2.com contains these words:

Well - that's why people don't have one then, isn't it!

Reply to
Guy King

Okay, been to Homebase, one fitted, together with a remote control.

Wife has a private pension, although not convinced it'd pay out enough to cover the redecorating.

Woman on Top Month... Hmmmm....

Already got Air-Conditioning in the toy room. (hoping the airflow from the fan in the bedroom will help circulate the air about a bit more)

(and no, don't try fitting one at 20:20, only to finish at 21:40 when the light's *really* fading. Off for a bath to de-sweat)

Reply to
Mike Dodd

Same here, we have them in the lounge and bedroom (daughter has a wall mounted fan as her bed is up on the wall) and it lets us survive in this weather. In fact when we go round folks houses without them we feel stifled ;-(

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. It's a Victorian house with highish ceilings so even with the water bed we have been ok so far ;-)

Reply to
T i m

Even at high tide? :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

So far yes .. but I suppose there is the small risk of a mini Tsunami temporarily elevating the water level enough .. ;-(

That could take some explaining to the wife, my girlfriends decapitated head on the bed? ;-(

Mind you it would probably end the same if the missus found out, cept with my head .. ;-(

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Could you take a loop through the water bed and run it to a beer cooler? Would keep the bed nice and cool.

Owain

Reply to
Owain