Low energy lamps

The message from Roger contains these words:

Quite so. Lots of things are done to prepare the dead for whatever terminal rite they're off to - prising a few fillings out is nothing compared to what the Leftpondians get up to.

Reply to
Guy King

Oh no you must, regardless of how much fuel is used. It's part of the "eco" thing.

Reply to
Andy Hall

You should get them replaced... it can make you go mad, you know....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Roger typed

You can cover the pacemaker extraction site with a shroud.

I think some might be upset if undertakers started whipping out teeth.

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

On 5 Sep 2006 09:41:44 -0700 someone who may be snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote this:-

What sort of bulbs do these fittings take?

Reply to
David Hansen

AIUI, commercial places etc. are supposed to dispose of them properly, but domestic users can just bin them.

chris French

Smaller reflectors or candle bulbs mostly. I think low-energy reflectors don't come in small sizes and the candle equivalents won't mount horizontally due to their weight or vertically without protruding right out of the shade. Ok, the last complaint is aesthetic...

Reply to
lairdy

The message from Helen Deborah Vecht contains these words:

Dentistry on the corpses that need it would be cheaper, even in the long run, than filtering mercury out of incinerator smoke.

With mercury amalgam being phased out albeit slowly and people increasing outliving their teeth it might even be a problem that will go away shortly without any active intervention if the current proposals of halving the mercury output are not changed.

Reply to
Roger

It must be a bad 'un. I picked up a handful yesterday and tested each one - all lit with no delay and the amount of brightening after a couple of minutes was quite small. The ones I get are Philips manufactured.

Reply to
lairdy

On 6 Sep 2006 01:15:42 -0700 someone who may be snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote this:-

big?

(near the bottom) too big?

See above.

Perhaps you are thinking of the old CFL bulbs with heavy glass envelopes. Modern ones are very light and there is no problem mounting them horizontally.

Have you been to a big red tin shed recently and looked at the size of some of the modern bulbs?

Does that matter if there is a shade?

Reply to
David Hansen

*applause* And I thought it was just me.

Don't forget you must wash out your empty cans and bottles with hot water & detergent, too....

Reply to
Huge

Thanks for the link. I hadn't realised they were down to the R63 size, although if those are appreciably longer than a standard reflector they are going to look pretty naff in flush-mounted ceiling fittings.

(near the bottom) too big ?

Too ugly more like ;-)

Ok.

Probably only a big yellow and black supermarket. I'm wary of web suppliers who only show hands holding examples and don't quote sizes.

It does if the bulb protrudes in a non-pleasing fashion. In fact, it's worse if there is a shade in that respect.

Thanks for the links. I also encountered

prices are a little better for some sizes. I baulk at paying more than a fiver.

Reply to
lairdy

I do. *BUT* it's the same hot water and detergent that has just washed the dishes. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The message from Huge contains these words:

While discussing re-cycling plastic bottles, an old bat living round here claimed that there's no problem with the bulk of them if you boil them till they're floppy then you can squash them down easily.

Reply to
Guy King

words:

My council is supposed to have facilities for tubes but I have never been to the dump to check out what they say. I tend to put stuff in the bin otherwise it is kicking about the front garden for months waiting for enough to get rid of to justify the trip to the dump.

Kevin

Reply to
Kev

Yes, but you're sensible.

Reply to
Huge

Hubble bubble toil and trouble!

Eye of newt and HDPE bottle!

Hmmm... doesn't have the same ring to it does it.

Neverless a dash of boiling water from the bottom of the kettle will do the same thing, no need to get the cauldron out.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

I remember seeing a prog about recycling, there was a woman who did just that, including delabelling and thoroughly scrubbing all the pet food tins in copious hot water and detergent, then they followed the green waste to its final destination in land fill.

Surely if we're recycling to be green it makes no sense to ask householders to waste water and energy cleaning stuff, it must be much better environmentally to wash them in some efficient industrial washer.

Reply to
bof

I have some CFL candle bulbs, while sizzes have got smaller recently they are still longer, and a bit fatter than an incandescent candle bulb (but not an issue in their location

There are a number of web suppliers who quote sizes.

Reply to
chris French

You can often get a tin or 2 in a "full" dishwasher.

Reply to
Chris Hodges