Loud banging noise

Potterton puma 80e makes a really loud banging noise when the heating has been on a while

Sara Lavery

Chuck some boiler silencer into your system:-

others are available

Reply to
Andy Bennet

Does it by Jove!

That's good to know.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'm wondering how the photo helps, apart from getting more hits for the advertisers?

Reply to
Fredxx

Does that stuff really work or just bung up the works? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The site funds itself that way. Not the fault of the poster except for using such a naff portal to Usenet. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Well it works in my system, it slowly descales any crud in the boiler and instead of loud bangs every now and again you get a gentle fizzing sound as the boiler reaches max temperature.

Reply to
Andy Bennet

That's assuming the problem is not caused by something like thermostatic radiator valves closing down and no bypass valve has been installed.

The OP has given insufficient detail about when the problem happens. How long after the heating starts does the problem occur? Minutes? Hours?

Reply to
alan_m

That's a result of localised boiling in the boiler. And that results usually from failure of the pump overrun, clogging of the system, closure of all valves or failure of the boiler stat. It can also be due to scaling in the boiler, but that would be the result of some other problem.

Where to go from here depends on whether it's always been that way in midwinter or whether it's a new thing this year.

A lot of folk here block messages from the website you're using. You can access news:uk.d-i-y on Google groups or with a newsreader app.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It used to work in my old cast iron lump Mexico... needed a dose every other year, and it made it significantly quieter.

Reply to
John Rumm

Hi you emaile your reply to me but on your email the reply bounced. I think your email is misconfigured. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff