Looking for PVC/Vinyl glue suitable for flexible vinyl

I know this exists, we got a tiny little tube of it with our water bed and it works well. It's just clear glue that welds the vinyl but doesn't dry hard.

However I can't find anything that's obviously right when I search. The trouble is that one gets loads of hits on vinyl flooring glue and also loads of hits on glue suitable for hard material (e.g. waste pipes).

I want a simple, one part, glue if at all possible and I need a fair amount of it (maybe 0.5 or 1 litre).

Reply to
Chris Green

Might sound odd, but kinky clothing manufacturers? Often little outfits (!) might be able to help.

Reply to
polygonum

Bison Vinyl Plastic Super Strong Waterproof Repair Adhesive Glue for PVC 25ml

The above tube costs ?5.89 and that seems a general price on the Web.

I haven't knocked myself out looking for larger sizes though it would be interesting to know what you might need I litre for, given the potential cost as against other possible er' solutions

michael adams

I'll leave you to work out the cost of a litres worth

Reply to
michael adams

I can find 20ml tubes at £6 or so but that seems rather pricey.

Does anyone know if the solvent weld for PVC pipes is actually the same stuff or do the 'flexible' versions have more plasticiser or something?

Reply to
Chris Green

Maybe a litre is rather more than I need. I 200ml would be more like it. I want to join large sheets of pvc, that's all, with the result not being flat so I can't just buy a bigger sheet.

Yes, I found that Bison vinyl glue too, I suppose if nothing better (cheaper) turns up I can go with that.

Reply to
Chris Green

All PVC cement is is PVC dissolved in either MEK or acetone

PVC weld is just the MEK or acetone - I forget which they use.

so get PVC cement

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I did just ask this later in the thread. So you are saying that solvent weld for PVC waste pipe is basically the same as stuff sold (at a *much* higher price) for mending water-bed mattresses and paddling pools?

Reply to
Chris Green

I would try places that deal with water gardens,Koi ponds etc. Many use sheets of PVC which need joining. There is a tape which is designed for joining sheets as well.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

I wiould think so

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So would I. "Shoe Goo" is a thicker version (i.e. more pvc dissolved in the solvent). I would be inclined to use solvent weld adhesive together with a patch. But if (say) you needed to build up a fillet around an inflation valve attached to a thicker section of plastic, then shoe goo might be better.

You don't explain what you want it for, or why you want a lot. I believe that vinyl flooring glue is probably flexible when it sets. Google for "Altro Adhesive" for lots of products. Altro is the heavy duty flooring widely used in commercial premises including loos, kitchens, etc. (And very impressive stuff: one of my lads is putting it down in his bar, and it strikes me as being potentially suitable for domestic workshops, utility rooms, etc.).

Reply to
newshound

Worth trying, but possibly subject to the "hobbyist/enthusiast" premium.

Reply to
newshound

2 products you could use

Stormsure - used on many waterproof jobs, repaired wetsuits & drysuits - good & stretches well. Sold loads of paces on line, or any diving shop

Seam Grip .... similar stuff in different sized tubes, sold in Go Outdoors

I used to use a product called 'Vinyl Weld' on the rips & splits that happen on marine seating ... great stuff, but not seen it on sale for a while.

Reply to
rick

Yes, 'Vinyl Weld' is what I was remembering.

I've found what I need now, I think, 'STELMAX 1985 Adhesive'. It comes in a reasonably large 135gm tube and says that it works on flexible PVC.

Reply to
Chris Green