loft conversion _without_ strengthening roof?!?

And the industry / sector?

Reply to
Roof

What is this? 20 questions?

Your attitude is showing, again.

Reply to
Bruce

Think he's trying to work out who knows the wobbly handshake whilst hopping on one leg before he'll be nice to you.

Reply to
Ash

I think you're right.

Time to plonk the wanker, and put an end to his nonsense. Ctrl-K!

Reply to
Bruce

Some engineer if you can't understand plain English.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yeh - and it's got dribble's 'prius' on it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No I would disagree. Where the question is general - as per the OPs, the advice can only be general - explain some of the options, what further information is needed, and where you could go for advice. In some cases that is all a poster needs.

In this particular example, that seems to be pretty much what he got - advice where to find out more information, and some explanation that the key worry he had (strengthening the roof structure), may actually have been less of an issue that other factors that had not occurred to him such as the floor suitability. These don't seem to be disproportionate or irresponsible responses - and I note that you have not provided substantially different or contrary guidance.

Again no, that makes no sense. When a question comes that is either sufficiently specific, or it can be refined into one that is by subsequent questions and answers, then it is entirely possible to provide as detailed an answer as a paid professional might given the same information. Whether one would do so for something as broad in scope for a complete loft conversion is doubtful - since after all, we don't get paid to work full time on this, however it is entirely possible that one may seek advice designing a structural element such as a floor joist or lintel etc for which an accurate answer could be given relatively quickly and with little risk.

To use your analogy, you seem to be saying that advising how to wire a plug is ok, but for a consumer unit replacement you need a professional. The latter is far more complex than the former, but its not black magic - it can be taught and learnt.

There will always be a risk of misunderstanding regardless of the route taken to advice. That can happen in newgroup posts (possibly supported by detailed photographs, plans etc), and direct briefs to structural engineers. As I said before, you are responsible for deciding how to use any advice you receive. As a paid professional you are also assuming that when you answer a specific question that the persona acting on the answer actually understands it - alas that does not always happen here or in real life, but I am sure it does not stop you answering.

(odd how houses are now "very simple structures")

Reply to
John Rumm

And "me"

Reply to
geoff

Do tell.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That is actually quite scary, especially if they are also in a position to legislate!

Reply to
John Rumm

I brought in my own structural engineer who reckoned they'd put a 'trainee' on the job and this was part of his thesis. As I said not many would expect three pages of drawings and calculations for a padstone to support a steel in a 9" outside wall.

Sadly 'getting a pro in' is no guarantee of finding the very best solution. As in my case other pros - including the local council ones - disagreed with his approach. And expected me to mildly pick up the several thousand extra costs.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They christened the car "geoff"

Reply to
geoff

erm ..... "Err sorry - why should I believe in your god and the baggage contained therein."

Ash

Reply to
Ash

In message , Ash writes

Term adopted from the man on a stick

now you see the danger ...

Reply to
geoff

Hey - some of us aim to be helpful nutters, you know ;)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

Thank you to everyone who has made constructive suggestions.

My intention, if I have anything done, is to get a building regs certificate at the end of the job, to avoid any problems during a subsequent sale. I'm not up for spending money to devalue the house (!), even if it gives a nice play room (with a low-ish ceiling!). If it can't be done properly, it won't be done at all.

the whole site!

Very interesting. We used to live in a house just like that. Quite amazing you can (could?) make such a radical change without planning permission.

I can't see anything post October 2008 that would cause us problems - unless the existing extension + any proposed dorma would increase the roof volume by more than the permitted amount. Obviously I'd check this properly before going ahead!

Bit concerned about getting our surveyor to "check" next door's conversion won't damage our future home - the survey was done before we discovered this, and of course makes no mention of it! We only opted for the valuation survey anyway - the homebuyers survey we had at our last house wasn't worth the paper it was written on.

Cheers, David.

Reply to
2Bdecided

Maxie, I don't the pills you do. It is very anti-social what you do in public. You have no shame.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Maxie, I don't the pills you do. It is very anti-social what you do in public. You have no shame.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Blimey, what's he on now?

Reply to
Stuart Noble

No. if you can count, it was only the second question. Why don't you answer it?

Reply to
Roof