Lockable Socket

Following the removal of the plug for our chest freezer by builders; I've been wondering if there is such a thing as a plug socket with a lock to prevent the accidental removal of a plug? The socket in question is a double with the other item on it being the tumble drier. That needs to be a normal socket. I was thinking of wiring up a cooker switch/plug combination but would prefer a lockable solution if one exists.

Thanks.

Reply to
Emas Refugee

Just wire it up to an FCU.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

It's a lot of trouble to go to prevent *accidental* removal. You can get plastic card thingies that slip over the plug pins and protrude above the plug, either blank for writing on or with legends such as "DO NOT REMOVE". You could also fit a single spur next to it with an unswitched socket to use as well to prevent accidental turn off.

(Not what you asked for but possibly what you need :o) )

Reply to
Bob Mannix

You can get labels for plugs which say things like DO NOT SWITCH OFF"

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

But then you'd builders who can read.

Besides, they didn't switch it off. They unplugged it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You won't let it happen twice....

We used these after switching off the feed to a full height 19" rack with a misplaced elbow.

are not tamperproof, but provide a very obvious deterrent to plug removal.

with added selotape over the moving parts - my father's solution after isolating the freezer by pushing a food mixer back against the FCU while 'tidying up'

Reply to
Toby

I've sometimes mused there would be a market for an unswitched FCU where the fuse carrier included a neutral link - so when it was removed the appliance was isolated.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Some years ago I bought a simple low-tech solution for our freezer.

A plastic box about 25mm deep, with an open back (but a flange). Unscrew socket from wall, fit box over socket with flange at back, reattach socket to wall. Front of box is removeable, and two slots in bottom for cables. Plug in appliance, clip on lid.

Could always modify lid for access to one socket.

Reply to
Bob Eager

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 13:18:53 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)" strung together this:

Contactum do a switched fused spur where the fuse cannot be removed and the switch cannot be operated without the use of the supplied key. Can't find a reference of it online anywhere but it's in the contactum catalogue

Reply to
Lurch

So they do. Part number 3467 will find the series. Not available in domestic styles, though, so might be limited to below worktop etc fitting.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)