Living without electricity

Taking a good look at Google maps, it appears that boat is the only sensible access. There seems to be a slightly sheltered inlet beside the lighthouse. ask the Northern Lighthouse Board how they access the site.

If they say "helicopter" - forget it.

[Snip]

Very little snow in those parts.

[Snip]

and much easier to build with a sea access.

Reply to
charles

wrong country - TH don't cover Scotland. Northern Lighthouse Board are the authority there. (Used to be The Commissioners of Northern Lights)

I reckon there's an artificial inlet to the west of the lighthouse.

Reply to
charles

Rightmove text:

"For the avoidance of doubt, the lighthouse and access pier are excluded from the subjects of sale, however the property does benefit from the right to use the landing jetty to afford access from the sea."

Reply to
John

On Saturday 31 August 2013 20:41 News wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I love Mull - been there a long time ago - but it is a brave man who lives there - especially in winter!

A wind generator might actually be of some use there, coupled with a load of batteries. Not for heavy power but rig the place up with some 12V caravan type light fittings - flourescent strip style.

Presumably landrover accessible? You could move full sized propane bottles yourself and run a proper cooker off those.

Reply to
Tim Watts

The answer then must be a donkey/mule/horse. Once well-trained perhaps it could be sent into town on its own with a shopping list.

Reply to
dom

That only applies to the lucky ones who don't have a serious illness.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

In article , snipped-for-privacy@gglz.com scribeth thus

LOL!..

A bloke I used to work with many years ago lived and grew up in India.

It seemed to be the case that the rural farmers would load up their produce and then set off at night for the town many miles away. Seemed that the cart was pulled by an Oxen or two and Ox knew its way to market as it had done it so many times before. More often than not the cart driver would nod off and the Oxen would carry on down the one road there being nowhere else for it to go. Anyways it would arrive at the market and the driver would wake up and then that was that..

Except that sometimes the British Hooray henrys would quietly turn the docile Oxen around whilst the driver was asleep so it would head back home and driver would awake to find they hadn't gone that far.

Seems the native Indians didn't care that much for the Brits;!...

Reply to
tony sayer

£225K. Are they taking the piss? No mains services. No access by road. Hideous weather in the winter. Hideous midges in the autumn. Mull has recorded the highest wind speed ever in the United Kingdom.

OTOH, two weeks out of three there's no policeman on Mull and the Tobermory Hotel has a, shall we say, flexible attitude to opening hours.

Reply to
Huge

New Zealand? It's on Mull!

Reply to
Huge

Yebbut Matty is in NZ.

Reply to
Steve Firth

And then there's the Wicker Man festival, very popular with the tourists, less so with the one policeman.

Reply to
Steve Firth

My wife's best friend's horse used to walk into town and help himself to the cabbages from the greengrocer then piss on the papers outside the newsagent. But then again he was a teenager.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Have you got a tidal stream you could put a turbine in?

JGH

Reply to
jgh

There's millions of trees here, I'm always chopping them down for the steam tram. Why do trees not grow in Mull? Did someone chop down the last tree, like on Easter Island?

Reply to
Matty F

Back when they were building boats out of wood it all got finally chopped down. Then deer and sheep made sure it didn't grow back again.

So long as you don't chop down as fast as they grow back you'll be ok. But it's not hard to remove the forest you have permanently.

Reply to
Clive George

Yebbut "there" refers the the lighthouse keepers cottage on Mull.

Reply to
Huge

How fast was that then and when was it recorded?

Reply to
Roger Chapman

Looking at the agent's particulars only by boat, and of course helicopter. A very high price for what might be idyllic in summer as the pictures show but dire in winter. Only for the seriously hardy who want few of the 21st century's essentials. None of the suggestions I have seen so far make realistic and economic sense.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Or, of course, those with absolutely no intention to live there all year round.

Reply to
Adrian

Until it blows away.

Reply to