Lighting a gas pipe

:-)

Reply to
Bod

Right, so you have to add excess air at a point upstream of the flame. How are you going to do this with your gas meter?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Of course, as an ex plumber and gas fitter, I wouldn't have a clue, would I, but then Harry knows everything. You've just accused me of *coming to conclusions*, whereas you've just done exactly that.

Reply to
Bod

On 20/12/2013 08:15, harryagain wrote: ...

No comment.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

What? And sets fire to the rubber hose? Never managed that when I was at school. Adjusting the air (I assume you mean the vent at the bottom of the Bunsen burner) only changes the flame to orange and burns cooler.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Burning of gas & air produces considerable expansion, hardly a recipe for drawing more oxygen in

Reply to
meow2222

On Friday 20 December 2013 09:17 snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote in uk.d-i-y:

CH4 + 2.O2 = CO2 + 2.H2O

So 3 volumes of source produces 3 volumes of product at constant temperature. (Avogadro's Law)

And as the product is a *lot* hotter than the source gases, burning methane causes rapid expansion - no way is that going to be able to suck air back down any normal pipe.

Acetylene is rather different and needs flashback arrestors - I would welcome an explanation as I've never known why :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

Ask Harry, he knows everything :-)

Reply to
Bod

C2H2 + 2.5 O2 => 2 CO2 + H2O (I think) That's a reduction in moles from 3.5 to 3.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

If you turn the acetylene pressure down and oxygen pressure up and you can get oxygen going back up the acetylene hoses. You could then have an explosive mixture of fuel and oxygen.

I think that's what happens, it's a long time since I've done any gas welding.

Reply to
Onetap

Can't you get a regulator which mixes them correctly in the first place?

Reply to
Uncle Peter

You also have blowback preventers (Effectively, non return valves) on the pipes.

You need two separate regulators due to the way most people use their gas kits.

Reply to
John Williamson

On Friday 20 December 2013 11:45 Uncle Peter wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Not relevant - please google Avogadro's Law...

Reply to
Tim Watts

On Friday 20 December 2013 12:17 Onetap wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Ah - I see... Presumably partly because IIRC the acetylene gas is not liquified but rather dissolved in another liquid? So it could well be bottled at a pressure much lower than the O2 is compressed in its bottle.

Reply to
Tim Watts

What I read said the "number of molecules". This has been reduced by a seventh.

Uncle Peter

Even if not, if the pressure valves are a fair way back from the jet, you've got all that hose at lower pressure because you set it lower.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Decent kit has blowback preventers in the gas lines ...

Reply to
Huge

Your ignorance astounds me.

harryagain

Why have you posted vague articles nothing to do with the above scenario?

Reply to
Uncle Peter

And the reason it is dissolved in a liquid soaked in inert powder is that acetylene spontaneously decomposes at high temperatures and pressures, releasing heat which makes it decompose faster ... etc.

So a detonation can propagate down a pipe filled with acetylene without any oxygen being present. This property is also what makes it so useful for welding - the flame deposits a lot of heat in the work.

John

Reply to
jrwalliker