Light bulbs

No, I'll go to Screwfix as Caecilius advised. Seems that our resident spark could not advise me where to go. Your not very intelligent Adam and you will always be an electrician living on a council estate.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

I have two very nice gardens. How many gardens do you have in your tower block?

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

With your limited budget then you might as well go to Screwfix and buy cheap tat.

LAP are on the cheaper price scale and TBH are s**te.

Reply to
ARW

I have one here. It is a horrible colour light.

Reply to
James H

Or the corncob style one.

eg:

Reply to
Chris French

It can be either.

harry

En el artículo , John Rumm escribió:

It's a troll impersonating "the Todal", who is/was a genuine poster, out to cause mischief.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Having said that about CFls. there do seem to be some around now that come on bright straight away. I still feel from what people say that the actual perceived colour is a bit wrong, slightly yellow, but nonetheless a lot better than the free cfls given away a few years back. Led to most people seem to be rather on the blue side of warm. My feeling being only able to perceive light is that both cfl and led tend to give me a bit of a thick head compared to the old tungsten bulbs. Whether its the colour or the flicker or something missing in the spectrum its hard to say, as I cannot actually see colour any more and ordinary bulbs are apparently red biased in any case. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Well you get warm white in both cfl and led, but they do look different. One other thing to think about is the light distribution. LEDs attain a wide light dispersion by having many leds facing different ways, but CFLs are just tubes so can spread the light in all directions. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

En el artículo , ARW escribió:

*waves hand*

I've bought the Poundland candle and small globe LED bulbs recently and have been very impressed with the spread and quality of the light. You genuinely cannot tell them from an incandescent.

The LED GU10s weren't as impressive - the colour is 4000k, which is fairly cold, and the light beam, being LED, is quite narrow and directional. If you're expecting them to look the same as halogens, you'll be disappointed. However, I bought ten for a friend to replace halogens in one room and he's pleased with how they look. The LED lamps have a metal decal on the face which matches his chrome recessed fittings so they look really smart, and the colder light and more directed beam suit that particular room very well. So it works *for him*.

The GU10 LEDs are 2.6W, so he's replaced 500W of halogen with 26W of LED

- about half the cost of running ONE halogen lamp.

We'll see how long they last for a quid, but I'm going to be buying a few more of the candle and globe ones to replace bulbs in my place. Not all of them - they're not a universal panacea.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Mine (whole house now) are all 4100K or 4600K. I find them better than the 'warm white' but not cold and unnatural like the 6000K+ ones. When choosing them, starting about a year ago, I didn't look at anything

Reply to
PeterC

My 2 main rooms, although only 4mx4m, are using 3x5W, 600lm, 4100K lamps each, The 'shades' are lightly frosted/clear and the result is, er, brilliant! The kitchen is a bit smaller but, for distribution, has 3-off 2-lamp fittings at 3W, 320lm, 4100K and I might have overdone it a bit. I'd considered under-cabinet strips but they're unecessary as there's very little shadow - more pale penumbrae - due to a mixture of omni- and semi-directional lamps.

Reply to
PeterC

They certainly ain't brighter than 50w tungsten. Or rather, they actually produce less light on the objects they're lighting. But may well look brighter if you look at the light itself.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's not what I found. I've installed daylight equivalents to the whole house, they definitely seem brighter and a nicer type of light. The old incandescents gave a positively yellow glow.

Reply to
Bod

It would help if people could avoid replying to the posts, or at least trim the unrelated groups if they must!

Reply to
John Rumm

Very few of these types of light give a continuous spectrum. So although they may look a similar colour, the way various colours show when lit by them is likely quite different. Decent tungsten does give a pretty even spectrum.

With both CFL and LED, you can 'dope' them to give a better spectrum. But as well as costing more, it tends to reduce the efficiency.

Of course none of this much matters if it's just lighting a hallway. But may well when preparing food and for arts and crafts etc, as well as for general relaxation. In the evenings, we are used to domestic lighting being an extension of late evening daylight. Making it very blue - suggesting noon daylight - may not be ideal for some.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Your descriptions are purely subjective and a matter of taste.

But the actual light output of a lamp isn't. It can be measured.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ok, I'll have take your word, but let's just say they certainly appeared brighter and pleasanter to us.

Reply to
Bod

He cannot afford them.

Reply to