Lifting an awning.

Maybe the awning itself is already on site.

Can't really understand the popularity because, unless the sun is directly overhead, the shadow cast is likely to be halfway down the garden

Reply to
stuart noble

Easy enough to lift a 3m 4 x 4 off a van roof.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Ah. Sorry Roger, I thought you meant the 4 x 4 . The awning is always delivered to site before I get there.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Kangoo van is 4.2m long.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I have on the front of a shed, can cover a little work area in front of it , if the weather looks a bit iffy I can work and have power tools out without the worry of having to suddenly pack up if a shower arrives. In similar conditions it is useful to hang some laundry under it as a breeze can dry the washing without the odd shower wetting it again. Shadow is no problem as it only falls on a bit of lawn and the garden is reasonably large.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

What Sam says is correct, but I was going to suggest these too. I've used a pair of them to raise things like roofing timbers for sheds, but you do have to watch out for the parallelogram collapse mode. You could, perhaps, screw the bases of a pair to a scaffold plank, with something a bit lighter (2x2?) screwed to the tops, and two diagonal tie wires with turnbuckles to brace it against parallelogramming. (Remember that this arrangement can still collapse out of plane). You might need something to secure the awning to the top member, but with the whole assembly gently leaning against the wall at a shallow angle (which stabilises it against out of plane collapse) it could become a two man job (one to jack and then fit, one to keep it steady).

Reply to
newshound