Life of an Indirect Hot Water Cylinder

What sort of life should you get out of an indirect hot water cylinder. Mine is 32 years old. I had to have a tall skinny one installed to fit the airing cupboard. The airing cupboard is now dismantled as I was taking down the lath and plaster and was going to rebuild a bigger airing cupboard to take 450mm cylinder. It would make some sense to fit it now before I have the walls plastered and rebuild the cupboard if it is not expected to have much life left.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Leave it there and aim for the Guinness book of records.

Reply to
F Murtz

when I saw this sub line I thought it was the title of a new film.

grin. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Time to put in in the loft and make it a pressurised one.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Just been replumbing here and, found that the 40 year old tank had pinholed in the bottom necessitating replacement.

TBH, not before time, the tank has loads of scale in it (I haven't cut the top off yet to see how much is still on the coil but it sounds like a giant maracca), similar hard water area. And, when I was removing the various connectors to make sure it's going to be pure copper scrap, one blanked flange just ripped off with no effort at all; ie that might have failed in situ eventually!!

Scott

Reply to
Scott M

I think yours is very much on "borrowed time" - and will pretty certainly only have a fairly weedy internal coil, and so will take a long time to heat up. Modern cylinders have a much bigger heat exchanger, and can absorb most of the heat a boiler can throw at them - thus heating up very quickly.

I had to replace my last cylinder after about 15 years because it was leaking between the cylinder body and coil connections, and I couldn't re-seal it satisfactorily. I got a good scrap price for it - almost certainly getting paid copper price for a load of internal scale!

Reply to
Roger Mills