Leaking sink problem

For ages I've been wondering where the water was leaking from under my sink. All connections seemed water tight, but now I've discovered the problem. Water is leaking through the join between the top of the drain pipe and the sink hole. I've tightened up the screw in the plug hole thingy which may have fixed it, but I need to know, is there a large washer at this point? It seems a bit crumbly at the join.

Reply to
Marky P

There should be a washer. Common cause if it leaks when emptying is a lack of seal where the u-bend joins the plug assembly.

Is it just a normal sink - or does it have a built in overflow - like a wash basin?

Reply to
John

Maybe take it apart and dry it off then rebuild using some sealant like that Fernox LSX ??

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

It's what I would call a normal kitchen sink.

Reply to
Marky P

OK, I'll give it a go. Thanks.

Reply to
Marky P

What he means is the kind of kitchen sink where at the end of the draining board section there is a drain which connects underneath via a tube to the waste pipe that comes from the sink plughole .It can leak unless sealed properly .

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

Yup! LSX is your friend. Never assemble a sink waste without it.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

No, it hasn't got one of those. The entire kitchen must be of a certain vintage (probably 20 years old) and could certainly do with updating, but I live in a Housing Association property and they are planning on upgrading kitchens & bathrooms sometime between now and

2011. But whether my kitchen is considered for upgrading, I've no idea :-(. Don't like the colour.
Reply to
Marky P

As a HA property it should fall under Decent Homes - 'decent' by 2010, although that's been pushed back a bit now. For kitchens the written guidance says 20yrs, and must have adequate space and layout.

A problem with the implementation of the standard (such as it is) is where the money comes from (expensive private loans, which is unlikely to affect you much directly), and it's now pretty well established that many perfectly respectable homes have been pulled down because they're too expensive to make 'decent'.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

Aren't the HA responsible for fixing the leak then if you feel unable to do it yourself ?

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

Yes, they are. If I couldn't fix it myself I would call them in. But since tightening the plug hole screw, it hasn't leaked, so looking good :-)

Reply to
Marky P

Take care not to overtighten the screw - I did and it broke the 'spokes' of the grill.

Reply to
John