Leaking foul drain, insurance or will I have to pay?

I have no experience of claiming on house insurance but found that whenever any water from kitchen or bathroom goes down the plughole a significant amount of it comes out under my suspended kitchen floor.

Is it likely to be covered by the house insurance or will I have to pay for it myself?

Cheers

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

The usual tenet of household insurance is that if something fails (like a drain joint) it is not covered, but the damage consequential on the failure is covered unless the policyholder has not taken reasonable precautions and made speedy repairs. So it you take the case of a leaking bath waste that has happened for years and caused dry rot, then that is not covered. But if the bath waste failed suddenly and took down the ceiling below then that would be.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

You appear to be implying that if the insurance co does it you wont pay. You will in later premiums. And lets face it, these jobs arent usually too hard to fix.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I would be surprised if the premium rises by the cost of the repairs. I wouldn't know where to start with a job like this. Presumably I would have to dig a hole in the drive?

Reply to
Adrian

A hole in the drive?

Have you checked under your floor to see if there are any plastic waste pipes leaking? - where do the waste pipes actually run before entering any drains?...you need to rule out the obvious before starting digging gardens up etc.

Reply to
Phil L

Running any tap in the house even the bathroom - and flushing the toilet all produce the same effect. There are no plastic waste pipes under the floor - the kitchen pipes go out through the wall. The water is coming into the kitchen at the base of the house - about 2 feet below the suspended floor, through a gap in a brick.

Reply to
Adrian

In that case ring the insurance company, tell them you've only just discovered it and that it's leaking near the foundations of the house, they'll tell you to get it sorted out before it causes any subsidence...verify with them that they will cover the cost of any repairs, they are great at saying 'get it fixed', but not so great at paying up afterwards, and get the persons (on the phone) name and a reference number for future correspondence.

Reply to
Phil L

Have you phoned them to find out?

if they say no have you got a pick and shovel handy !!! better to get into it now before any serious frost makes it harder to dig.

Reply to
Staffbull

That's why I have a £2.5k excess for all claims and get a 50% premium discount. Most small claims are easier for me to do something about that to start making a claim and getting guotes. etc.etc.

Reply to
Ed Sirett