Laying cable under laminate underlay

Anyone know if I will have issues laying telephone (and maybe cat5) cable under laminate ?? I am planning on use faily thick underlay. The underfloor is chipboard in a new build house.

Underlay thickness is 3mm (or maybe the 2mm thickness stuff) - density

95kg/m³
Reply to
NC

I recently did something similar. I replaced the radiator in a room and realised that I'd left the alarm cables that had previously ran behind the radiator pipes in front of them!

I decided not to bother taking the radiator off again and simply cut a channel out of the underlay to run the cable in. The laminate doesn't seem to have any problems bridging the approx. 5mm gap I left (so far anyway!)

Reply to
Richard Conway

so you actually cut a groove in the underlay, rather than running the cable under it ?? May be an idea to tuck the cables into the joins in the underlay...

Reply to
NC

Yeah, that would be better I suppose - I didn't have the option because the cables were already there so I had to work around them - if you are laying the cables as new (or they have plenty of slack) then I don't see why you couldn't route them along the joins.

Just a point from re-reading your post - I used the large rectangular 'tiles' of underlay (prolly about 5-8mm thick, not the stuff on the rolls - that might be too thin to do this without squashing the cables.

Reply to
Richard Conway

I would expect it to be easier to put cables under the roll stuff as its softer and should accommodate the cables by compressing a little... but I could be talking out of my arse !

Reply to
NC

It may be easier but I would think that the cable would be subject to quite a bit of wear and tear as people walk across the laminate.

Out of interest, is there no way you place the cables in the expansion gap around the edges before fitting skirting/beading?

Reply to
Richard Conway

I could do - but a door and fireplace gets in the way. I suppose I could still route it under the expansion stip thingy.

Reply to
NC

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 09:00:04 +0000 (UTC), NC scrawled:

I wouldn't even remotely think about possibly ever doing such a thing.

Reply to
Lurch

Is that because you are opposed to laminate though ;)

Reply to
Richard Conway

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 11:25:33 +0100, Richard Conway scrawled:

At the risk of being controversial, I'm not against laminate flooring!

Reply to
Lurch

I used the fibre-board type of underlay for mine and cut grooves into it to accommodate the telephone and speaker cables. No adverse effects but the fibre-board was thicker than the cables.

Grumble

Reply to
Grumble

so can you explain your reply then ?? Whats so evil about the proposal ?

Reply to
NC

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 19:57:07 +0000 (UTC), NC scrawled:

I'm sure it is theoretically possible but as a professional it's not the done thing. If they were maybe at the edge then possibly as an only option but definitely not acroiss a doorway.

Just my opinion, do with it what you will. ;)

Reply to
Lurch

and appreciated it is too.. Thanks for the input.

Reply to
NC