Latex gloves - I'm converted!

I recently decided to give Latex gloves a go when tiling, grouting, silicone'ing and general jobs around the garage - I'm totally converted! They really do make life easier and are more robust than I expected. Presumably I'm not the first convert, where do you buy them from at a sensible price? Some sites suggest that Blue Nitrile gives the same "second skin" effect but are even more puncture resistant; has anyone tried them?

Reply to
Dave

No idea about the puncture resistance of nitrile rubber gloves, but they are the only ones we use in my clean room. Latex gloves have a known problem of causing allergies in people who wear them for extended periods.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

I have used the blue ones, but I don't have any left, so not sure if they are the nitrile ones you refer to. Currently have latex ones. Blue ones are stronger but not as elastic or tight fitting, so they can get caught on things -- depends what you're doing which is best. I buy them in boxes of 100 from CPC. Pretty essential for cleaning bicycle chains unless you want dirty hands for a week.

For things like plastering, I use barrier cream. I'm about to do some tiling, so I might try out both ways.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

They are also powdered to stop them sticking together, which would be somewhat of a disaster in a clean room.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I use them all the time when repairing bikes or fiddling with diesel gennies, it's a lot easier than getting the oil off afterwards. I also have a pair with me when cycling in case of roadside repairs.

I got a box of 100 (50 pairs) from Screwfix, not sure if it was a good price compared to elsewhere---currently £5.49.

A tip for winter working is to use a cheap pair of thermal liner gloves underneath the latex. This can also stop the clamminess as well as keeping your hands warm.

Colin

Reply to
Colin Blackburn

Moved there years ago. Best ones I have tried were from Mac tools at 10 quid a box of 100. generally though I use some from a local bloke to me at

3 pounds a box. You need to try several makes as they vary vastly. Latex can be reused, if not holed, I have a spare empty box with a bit of talc in, when I take a glove off it goes in the box and is then reusable when it has dried out. I don't like the nitrile ones personally, although they are stronger and essential for some solvents,

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Motor factor. I pay ~£2.50 per box.

I don't like the feel of nitrile. It isn't as stretchy as latex, so doesn't give as natural a fit. Some people are allergic to latex, and for them nitrile is the best option.

Reply to
Grunff

Blue ones are designed for the food processing industry. There being on naturally blue food, alien bits are easily spotted! Same with plasters, hair nets etc.

Makro sell the blue ones, Screwfix sell the latex, motor factors are cheap as well. Quality varies enourmously.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

What an excellent idea! And so simple - why have I never thought of it?

Doh ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Necessity and chance were the parents of invention in my case. The workshop was freezing and I had a pair of liner gloves in my pocket.

Colin

Reply to
Colin Blackburn

Colin Blackburn wrote: ... snipped

A good idea, are these "sealskinz" or something thinner?

Reply to
Dave

converted!

Are latex ones OK with paints and white spirit?

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

I just use any old thermal liner gloves, you can get them in any walking or outdoor shop. You can get the sealskinz brand but there are plenty of others. The polyester ones are no more than between 5 quid, you can pay more if you want silk.

These are the sealskinz ones, at 3.99

Colin Blackburn

If you want cheap latex gloves try

type gloves into the search box.

They have a huge range of gloves which come in boxes of 100 or 1000.

Markus

Reply to
Markus Splenius

Yes, use the blue ones.

Mine usually come from Arco, but they're pretty easy to find anywhere. Try asking a back-street garage where they get theirs.

I'm also a great believer in barrier cream.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I use mil-surplus white lintless cotton optics-handling gloves. Cheap.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Few people are allergic to latex, rather more are allergic to the powder that latex gloves are coated with. If you look, you can find non-powdered latex which will often solve the allergy problem.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

They're also very good for preparing hot peppers, and for dealing with colourful vegetables, like beets.

Sheila

Reply to
S Viemeister

There are, or at least used to be, powder free surgical grade latex gloves. I presume they used some form of surface tratement or coating.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

'just placed an order :) Thanks