Large cities sinking...

New York’s a Lot Like Venice. It’s Sinking. By James Barron, May 23, 2023, New York Times

Maybe you have had that sinking feeling lately. A recently published scientific paper suggested that all of New York has and will continue to. The paper said that New York sinks between two and four millimeters a year under the weight of all the buildings, “with some areas subsiding much faster.” A couple of millimeters is so little that the finding almost sounds amusing. Four mm is 3-20ths of an inch. But the finding about the city’s slow and gradual descent was not intended to be funny. “And that’s the point,” said Tom Parsons, a geophysicist with the United States Geological Survey who was the lead author of the paper.

The concern is that the downward force of the buildings, coupled with rising water levels from global warming, could make the city more prone to natural disasters. Those factors “imply an accelerating problem along coastal and riverfront areas,” he wrote in the paper, published in the journal Earth’s Future. “The point of the paper is to raise awareness that every additional high-rise building” along a river “could contribute to future flood risk.”

What is happening in New York is “quite comparable to what’s happening in Venice,” he said in an interview. “They’re sinking at the same rate.” But in Venice, climate change is outrunning the projections that a $5.3 billion system of sea walls was designed to withstand.

And Indonesia is building to build a new capital city from scratch because the current one, Jakarta, is sinking. The president, Joko Widodo, gave up on trying to save Jakarta after raising sea walls and trying other measures. My colleague Hannah Beech called them “duct-tape solutions” that could not put Jakarta beyond the reach of the water.

Parsons is not calling for a new New York on higher and dryer ground. “It’s not an emergency now,” he said. “What we wanted to do is provide this science that’s help for planning down the road. It’s easy for scientists to show up as an emergency is happening, but it’s more useful to start talking about this early enough that something can be done to mitigate it.”

“That’s the main question I get, how do we mitigate this,” he added. “The answer a lot of people don’t want to hear is the greenhouse gas side of it. We can slow sea-level rise if collectively we can find a way to reduce the amount of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere. That’s not an easy task, obviously.”

He cited a United Nations projection that 70% of the world’s population will inhabit cities by 2050. “When you build a city and it gets full of people, you end up with subsidence,” he said, saying that New York City was “emblematic of a place that people migrate to and that obviously has a high concentration of construction.”

He and his co-authors calculated that there are not quite 1.1 million buildings in the city — 1,084,954, to be exact. After estimating the number of floors in each and doing some computer modeling, he calculated their total weight to be 1.68 trillion pounds. Then he factored in the pull of gravity and other factors to determine how much the city would sink.

Parsons said that some parts of the city are sinking faster than others. He mentioned areas along the East River in Queens and Brooklyn, as well as Coney Island, Jamaica Bay and the Rockaways. Most Manhattan skyscrapers are anchored to bedrock, which is “far less compressible” than soil.

David P

jim.gm4dhj

Maybe they can do what they are planing in Venice and pump water down into the aquifers to raise the whole city in one go.

The chap I heard on the recent TV program about Venice was quite keen and positive it could be done. The current barriers can only be used occasionally as, if used continuously, they make things worse long term and the city uninhabitable shorter term (untenable sewage levels.) There is not much more they can do, so raising the city en masse has great appeal. If it works, I can see it being used all over the world as sea levels rise.

Reply to
Bob Henson

Mexico City is also sinking. Too much ground-water being removed.

wonder sea levels are rising - all that water eventually ends up in the sea! :-)

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Not 150 metres though.

Reply to
jon

Portsmouth is sinking at 1.7mm per year. Courtesy of the last ice age, although the ice got nowhere near Pompey. Isostatic rebound is the geology. Lerwick has very little local sea level rise measured on thir tide gaug, because it is rising after all that ice melted. Counter-balancing that, as all the UK floats on the mantle, South Hampsire has to sink, plus global sea level rise , means locally a quarter of an inch per year, glug, glug.

Reply to
N_Cook

Much of the land around the Baltic is on the rise due to isostatic recovery, as well. Sea levels are apparently falling.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

On 23 May 2023, Bob Henson wrote

Unlike Venice, though, I don't think NYC (or Manhattan, at least) sits on aquifers -- as the article mentions, the foundations of most of the skyscrapers are anchored to bedrock, which AFAIK doesn't normally sink. Other areas of the city, of course, may have deeper layers of soil above bedrock.

(Maybe they'll have to reconsider banning discrimination against fat people.......)

Reply to
HVS

Too many people. See how we always come back to that.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Interesting to see the prog about Venice a couple of nights back. A plan to jack-up Venice by 0.25m over 10 years. I was not aware this technique goes back to Wilmington USA of 1930s. Too much oil was extracted from under , so they pumped water in to replace the oil and Wilmington rose 9m apparently. Also the bod who determined 1.3m local sea level rise (ie mainly Venice sinking) from camera obscura accurate paintings of the plankton line , by Caneletto/Tinteretto or whoever 400 years ago

Reply to
N_Cook

There are ancient 'beaches' in Scotland that are now many metres above high tide.

Sweden gains about a hectare of new land every year, if my recollection of a BBC Coast program about that country is correct.

Reply to
Andrew