Kitchen electrical outlet

The council house I live in is currently being re-wired. Several new sockets have been installed in the kitchen. For the washing machine & fridge outlets have been placed below the worktops, with seperate switches located higher up. In the case of the washing machine the switch has been placed direcly above the kitchen sink, which seemed a bit strange to me. The switch is on the wall directly behind the sink draining board, only about 6 inches up, which seemed a bit unsafe to me. I spoke to one of the electricians, but he told me the switch is safe was placed as per the plans, and did not require moving.

The socket's position can be seen here:

anyone think this breaks any regulations? I'm still not convinced that it is safe, but I'd like to hear some other opinions before I demand that the contractors move it :)

Thanks, Calum

Reply to
mcme

In article , snipped-for-privacy@mailinator.com writes

Reply to
fred

Why is it fine, given that it's perfectly possible (and likely) for the switch to be operated by dripping wet hands (+/- another wet hand holding the metal sink?)

Note I'm not arguing: just asking the question!

David

Reply to
Lobster

Hi calum ,

i'm with lobster on this one. I can only search the net for the legal specifics as you can but my gut says NO WAY.

There are regs for shower switches and electric hobs so i think that this is definately subject to regs and indeed contrary to them.

I'm sure you will have enough replies off electricains soon enough.

Andy

Reply to
Andy pandy

In that situation I wouldn't say NO WAY...but I'd fit a suitably IP rated switch if I really wanted it there. Did that with the light fitting in a cramped shower room!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Mainly cos in a small kitchen (like this one looks) it's pretty hard not to place an electrical switch or outlet within reach of water. The switch isn't 'over the sink', it's behind the draining board so for me that makes it the place of least evils to have it. AIUI, this is not in breach of electrical regs but I wouldn't place an outlet there.

Reply to
fred

I really can't understand this fashion for having isolator switches for appliances which are fed via a socket but normally left switched on. They'll all have the means of being switched off on the appliance if needed - even a fridge which can be defrosted by simply turning down the thermostat.

For pro servicing, anyone with a modicum of sense would unplug them.

And if the rare event happened where a faulty appliance needed to be isolated - like say it burst into flames - I very much doubt the average punter would know which isolator applied to which appliance.

A cooker on a 30 amp+ radial circuit is rather different. They can't usually be unplugged.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think it's for keeping the washing machine's contents (and DW and TB) safe from potential damage caused by small fingers daytime. The top switches don't attract their attention unlike the cute 90C boil-my-coloureds button. They play daytime near the machines but can't start any cycle before the Hand of Daddy intervenes. Then when they're tidied to bed, switch on and run the units.

My theory anyway.

Reply to
Colum Mylod

That's certainly a decent reason. If you remember to switch them off...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It looks fine to me. There's an unwritten rule of being 30cm from the sink, but even this isn't enforceable.

Just because it is above the drainer makes it no more likely that you'll operate it with wet hands than a switch 2m away. What determines that is whether you bother to dry your hands before operating switchgear. In fact, in this case you are unlikely to ever operate the switch at all, as you probably won't be switching off your washing machine at the mains.

The main thing is that you don't want it getting splashed everytime you fill the sink, which isn't likely in the shown location.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Good theory ! our grandson has just discovered the delights of the kitchen.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

I'd think there are far more worrying hazards in there for a toddler than playing with a washing machine...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Don't disagree at all.

Dave