joist sound insulation

That's *highly* subjective.

I'd say more like 40dB is a 'halving of the noise'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

10dB has long been established as a *subjective* halving or doubling. 40dB is more like the difference between a whisper and shout. It's approximately the dynamic range of FM radio - so if you can imagine the quietest passage on a symphony being broadcast on R3 against the loudest part, you'll get the idea.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

dB scaling looks like its been re written;!...

Reply to
tony sayer

Which is why heat insulation and acoustic insulation batts are different products ;-)

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

Well, you can always rely on TNP to be wrong.

Reply to
Huge

That's also what I was taught many decades ago.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

Odd. My radios turned in > 60dB S/N.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You can with some equipment get better than that!. Not that its a lot of practical use these days...

Reply to
tony sayer

Subjective cant be right, d*****ad.

Lets see. 10dB is one tenth the noise POWER so it cant be half as loud by any OBJECTIVE measurement.

It isn' one half the amplitude, either. Its about one third.

It cant be one half the log power or log amplitude either because thats nonsense.

Ergo its an entirely subjective assessment which is merely what some people decided 'felt right'

Is the city (80dB) twice as loud as the country (40dB). And a rock band at 120dB twice as loud again?I would say so, personally. I am entitled to my subjective assessment like anyone else is.

I mean if I only kick your head in half as much as your opinions deserve, how much less damage, is that?

Entirely subjective I would say.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If you take 100 people and get them to turn down a radio so it is half as loud, it averages at 10 dB. That's why I said subjective. Nothing whatsoever to do with power or voltage ratios.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not by very much. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

which 100 people would that be, then?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Any normal people. Which excludes you, obviously.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)