Is it worth having a microwave oven repaired?

Once a year? I stock up on them around Christmas and then eat them over the next year. I *love* Christmas pud :)

We also use ours for sterilizing bottles for sprog2 and reheating easily and quickly previously homecooked and then frozen baby food. Doing that any other way takes a lot longer and create much more washing up.

Darren

Reply to
dmc

My 12 year old Boots own brand went back recently. Changed internal 5A fuse, blew it immediately. Fault was failed HV diode, causing protector to short, shorting the HV transformer. Bought a new diode and protector from CPC for about £5, fitted works fine.

Reply to
Ian Middleton

You know something? I've just discovered another reason for not having a m/wave. I'm not trained in that sort of calculation :-(

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I didn't use bottles for any of our litter, that takes even less time and washing up, no equipment, perfect temperature all the time, constantly available, no sterilising ... etc. I did it myself - thus being in keeping with the group.

When they were weaned we didn't have a fridge, never mind a freezer. They ate what we ate, whizzed in the Kenwood. The best aid ever.

It seems to me that modern parents make an awful lot of work for themselves.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Agreed. When purchasing a microwave, having a keypad with numbers, rather than +10, +100, etc, is an absolute requirement. I simply won't buy a microwave without proper numbers.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

That requires you to eat "traditional" food though. I not sure what the little ones would make of my curries. I'm also not sure what the Kenwood would make of an anchovy and halapeno pizza.

Actually, the little jars of food are extremely low work. Just open the lid and spoon into their gobs. Then wash jar and give to MOL, who uses them to store needlework stuff and sorted art materials. The only other washing up is the spoon. The ingredients lists are surprisingly clear of anything nasty, i.e. anything other than the actual food described on the label. Certainly no additives of any kind.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

No problem in either case!

You have to buy them. They cost more than a spoonful from your plate - there's no extra washing up if you all eat at the same time. MOL must surely have an overabundance of jars - I'm glad our daughters and daughters in law weren't so generous! Mostly they did the same as we did.

I think they're a waste of resources. The empty wine bottles outside our back door are bad enough ...

No additives allowed these days - after much protest from various organisations. But I would still prefer to give my children what I KNOW - i.e. what I've made. It's also a better education for their palate than the bland stuff which is prepared commercially - have you ever tasted it? I did, once. The only other time I tried giving a (our first) baby something ready-made she spat it out, explosively, all over me. It's amazing how far strained beetroot can go. It can't be hidden ... :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

When my microwave packed up I chose its replacement by going to a shed and picking one whose mode of operation was self-evident just by looking at it.

Years ago we had software that could not be used unless you had the manual and read it first. Now (most) software is intuitive - the most-used functions anyway - whilst appliances of all sorts are useless without the instructions.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

I'm quite sure about that. At 30p a jar, I suspect it is actually cheaper than giving her some of ours!

But I hate washing up the mixer!

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Thats all well and good if you can do it. My wife has to work so that we can afford a house down south. This mean sprogs at nursury so bottles are required.

She is a teacher and if she didn't work then we wouldn't be able to afford a house around here on my salary...

Exactly what we do when we eat with them.

Its a lot easier with a microwave though :)

Darren

Reply to
dmc

It was only the glass goblet!

Far easier than bottles!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

"Christian McArdle" wrote | > When they were weaned we didn't have a fridge, never mind | > a freezer. They ate what we ate, whizzed in the Kenwood. | > The best aid ever. | That requires you to eat "traditional" food though. I not sure | what the little ones would make of my curries.

What do little Indian babies eat?

| I'm also not sure what the Kenwood | would make of an anchovy and halapeno pizza.

I'm not sure what /I/ would make of an achovy and halapeno pizza.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I dunno. There are good microwave designs out there. There are just so many bad ones. The fundamental problem is that a knob costs perhaps a pound to include. But a whole keypad can be gotten for around a pound, so the inclination is to leave off knobs.

I saw a very early combi microwave/fan oven, with three knobs, time, temperature, microwave power, with a display that showed the exact setting of each.

Set temperature to other than "off", and you get microwave and oven, set microwave to "off", and you get an oven. Press in oven button, and it grills.

Dead simple.

The tendancy unfortunately is to add stuff which is essentially free.

Once you've got a panel with 10 buttons, and a display, adding 20 buttons, with pictures of foodstuffs on them, and buttons to say how much of an item you are doing, costs perhaps 10p.

Some of this can be handy - adding timers so that you can set when the microwave comes on, and sequence cooking, so you can set the oven to get hot at the end to caremelise something (for example).

But, much of it is pointless, and serving the same function (while being harder to use) than the sticker on the front of my 1970s microwave listing cooking times.

I find the microwave is most often used for things that tend to not work so well in a pan without supervision. For example, cold water + rice in a 2l bowl, 15 mins later, fluffy seperated rice.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Oh, we don't use bottles. Far more convenient the natural way when it comes to drinking.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Very interesting explanation, thanks.

er - it takes 12 minutes from start to finish on the cooker, including only

2 minutes with the flame under it ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The ones I know are weaned onto what their parents re eating.

To be honest, I don't know what it is ... anchovies I know and love, pizza I make and love, halapeno???

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

jalapeño I suspect

Darren

Reply to
dmc

Just as much in the dark!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Ok...

dmc

Well, I understand now. Thank you!

I didn't know pizzas were made with hot peppersbut there you go - I live a sheltered life! There are so many varieties to make that I've never thought about it.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher