Is Andrews in Spalding one of the cheapest timber merchants?

...'cos I've been buying 2.4m 100mm x 22mm sawn (unplaned) boards there for £2.55 each. Seems like a bargain, even more so when I proffer my 10% discount card (over 65). Other sizes (all sawn) also seem good value.

MM

Reply to
MM

Maybe it's whitewood, which has always been cheaper than redwood. Impossible to plane that stuff though.

Reply to
stuart noble

It's bog-standard soft wood, the sort builders use everywhere. I don't need anything fancy for loft walk boards. Last time I looked, B&Q prices for similar were higher and I don't get the 10% discount. As for planing, well maybe it's not amenable, but I have used the same kind of timber to build tables, then sanded down the two exterior surfaces (top/side). Looks and feels perfect.

MM

Reply to
MM

Whitewood (usually 6" x 1") is primarily for flooring. Jewsons used to do it as standard. Nice looking stuff with small dark knots, and none of the orangey glow of redwood..

Reply to
stuart noble

What's the venerable 8 foot of 2x4" like?

Reply to
Jules Richardson

I discovered yesterday that the same planks are even cheaper if you place an order for the sawmill. Then they're only £2.28 each!

MM

Reply to
MM

I'll check next time I'm there.

MM

Reply to
MM

Okay, been there just now: 2.4m x 100mm x 50mm = £5.50 each in shop, slightly cheaper if you ring and order from their sawmill for later collection.

MM

Reply to
MM