inverter powered central heating

Most unlikely. The power supply in the controller will be very effective at wiping that out, as it inevitably contains a reservoir cap, and typically other things that also add to the low pass filtering function..

they cover most of the audio spectrum, they've seen use at times as cost cutting audio transformers.

MSW invertors normally have a filter to remove harmonics a long way above the fundamental. Its not impossible for a cost cutting no name reputable invertor to leave out any filtering and use phoney product certification, but even if it does the load appliances will still handle the rf.

why?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

If you cant open it, the resistor goes in series with the supply input and you can locate the R externally if you prefer. If you do it that way you'll need a higher value R to relieve the dissipation on the internal R, since that's still in circuit. Fortunately smpsus can handle wide variations in mains V so you can arrange the external R to drop 10v. Its value isnt a trivial calculation though.

How you arrange it physically depends on what you've got there, and makes no difference to the fact that what I proposed is electrically a sound solution. A few options spring to mind, your choices being limited by the amount of power dissipation.

No-one claimed you could implement trivially it in every case, obviously there exists equipment thats hard to work on for one reason or another. And the design and calculation is, like a lot of electronic design, not trivial in every case. I'm not sure theres much mileage in whining that electronics isnt a simpler subject, or that I didnt write you an essay on details you hadnt asked about.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

In message , tony sayer writes

Or a good quality UPS that has external battery connectors...

Some big units can be had for buttons on eBay because the batteries have died and the shipping isn't cheap.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

Yes you did. You jumped in with your stupid ill-thought out suggestion.

Aww bless, I'm sorry to hear that you find selecting a resistor hard to do.

No one was whining, or at least not until you started. And I don't give a flying f*ck for your worthless opinions.

Reply to
Steve Firth

No one has (AFAICT) mentioned that some boiler models are sensitive to the polarity of the supply.

You may have to make sure that the Earth and the supply conductor that goes to the Neutral input are joined.

Some boilers probably don't mind, but...

Reply to
Ed Sirett

welcome to the filter

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Isn't that gas boilers and the flame failure device reliant on ionised bits?

This is an oil boiler far simpler, big fan, high pressure pump, a jet and powerful spark to ignite the atomised oil spray from the jet. Flame detection is optical.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Please set it so that your worthless drivel goes away. You and the rest of the meow fuckwits.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I have done in the past

maybe we need a wiki / FAQ entry Ed ...

Only the ver ver old ones which rely on thermocouples or those which use infrared sensing IWHT

Reply to
geoff

The water pump does not make that much noise when on the inverter, it is the boiler that makes the loud hum.

Reply to
Stephen

I don't know enough (anything) about transformers so I am unable to know whether using one would help. All I know is that there's no consensus within the group. If I had one lying about, I would certainly try it but the advice seems to be that money spent on a transformer would be better spent on a new inverter.

Reply to
Stephen

That sounds interesting: what panels, lights, and batteries do you use?

Can you get a diesel generator for less than a thousand pounds? The cheap ones all seem to be petrol and they are noisy. At least an inverter is silent.

I never thought to look there. Are they reputable makes sol by reputable sellers? The ones I had seen were several hundred pounds. I thought that if something was too good top be true (e.g. 50UKP on ebay) it probably is.

Reply to
Stephen

Yes, they are generally a hundred quid more than similar rated petrol.

My diesel is even noisier but who cares when you can have few lights, heating, and maintain the fridges/freezers. And being diesel will run on red at 40p/l rather than road fuel at nearer a quid.

Apart from the fans that a 2kW jobbie will have and then you have the problem of a massive battery bank to supply the energy. Petrol/diesel generators have a lot going for them in term of energy density of the fuel and decent power availabilty. B-)

Of course a few hundred watts just for the heating is less of a problem. But say 200W from the battery @ 12v is 16A, 5 hours for an 80Ahr battery to dead as a Dodo.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I'll have to look more closely then, the shops I have seen seem to sell petrol for small models and only introduce diesel once the machines get big and expensive.

How do you get hold of red diesel? Ask a farmer? Is it legal to use red in a generator? I wasn't sure whether the noise would be an issue late at night/early in the morning, or it might alert neighbours that you have power and they'd all come asking to watch the telly ;)

I suppose an inverter could be kept indoors but a genny could be stolen from outside?

I imagine that a 2kW inverter costs as much as a genny? I was only looking at inverters for lights and boiler.

Agreed.

I think they run for 16 hours on a tank? And you can have a jerry can on standby. Do you have to add a preservative to the petrol though?

Reply to
Stephen

There are probably some other models where the flame sense is done with two unearthed electrodes.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Take jerry can down to local garage and get it filled from the red diesel pump. Then sign the book with name adress and what I want it for.

I would if the local garage didn't sell it.

Yes. I suspect if one wanted to jump through the hoops you could probably claim back the duty (10p/l I think) and the difference between 15 and 5% VAT. Provided you could prove to HMR&C that the fuel was used only for domestic energy purposes.

Ours is noisey but it's not *that* noisey but then all our neighbours are some distance away and have lumpy bits of ground between us and them...

Could be but you'd notice the noise stop and it weighs quite a bit. Two blokes couldn't run very fast or far with it. Could heave it into the back of van PDQ though. Not many tea leaves around here...

Something like that with a big tank on the frame, the small engine mounted tanks only manage a few hours.

I never have for the petrol I have for the lawn mower or strimmer, that is often kept over winter. "Preservatives" seems to be an American thing, I think their petrol must be different to ours...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I use LC Solar monocrystalline panels, which I bought from a company in Bristol. However I don't think they are in business anymore - I'd like to increase the number of panels and I can't get a reply from them. The batteries were bought S/H when a company near Vauxhall got rid of several hundred 110AH Chloride batteries. They were all in good conditions and continue to work well for me, five years after I bought them. I have no idea how long they will last for, I bought 10 and use them in rotation - next job is to come up with a controller to manage the charge/discharge cycle. The lights are normal incandescent light bulbs.

Yes, if you shop around. A 6KVA diesel generator can be had for about £800 and they're not the noisy "site" generators.

Yes, good makes and no problems in my experience. There are both inverters and inverter-chargers if you're thinking of a small installation with wind/solar charging.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Thanks. What output do the solar panels produce? Can you top up in one day what you use in one night? What is the total load of the incandescent lights?

What shops and which makes? That could be useful if you wanted to power a whole house during frequent power cuts but for now I think I should just get a smaller, cheaper generator as per your earlier email.

I've been looking but can only see a 300W continuous (600W peak) pure sine and that's £50 to buy with another £30 for postage. I would like something nearer 600W cont. 1kW peak. Thanks again.

Reply to
Stephen

The panels produce 625W which is more than I need at present - they actually generate a maximum of 50A charging current which is sufficient to charge one 110AH battery per day. The ultimate aim is to have more panels as I get to afford them and to have a working wind generator. I've had a homebrew one working producing 600W but it's more a toy than a serious source of power at the moment and I daren't leave it running unattended.

The lights add up to about 300W, but I tend to use no more than 100W at a time.

one, there are several others. The place I bought from (Peak Generators, Matlock) appears to have gone bust.

Makes include Kipor, Suntom, Hitachi, Kawasaki and several others. The Kipor generators have a decent reputation and appear to produce clean sinewave output. Some makes have remote start capabilities which can be damned useful.

It looks like prices have come down since I bought one and you can now get a 6KVA generator under £600.

If you want to research types enter "silent diesel generator", without the quotes, as a search term in eBay. Where you buy is up to you, but that search will throw up typical gensets then you can choose if your shop or go search on Google for better deals.

I can still see sine wave inverters on eBay at that price. I have no idea what you're doing. And of course you have to pay postage. There are

600W PSW inverters for £50 + £22 P&P.

You do seem to want the moon on a plate for £0.025.

Reply to
Steve Firth

It's interesting that you are self-sufficient in lights. I envy your set-up being able to recharge each day what you use at night. I know lighting accounts for a very small fraction of my electricity bill but even so, it would be nice to think I was not paying the electricity co. for lighting. I appreciate that I would be paying other people for the equipment and that payback would be long etc.

I don't need a generator yet but I'll keep the useful information about those for reference so thanks for that too.

This is where I got upset. I never said that I wanted to spend £0.025. I simply do not want to spend hundreds of pounds on >kilowatt rated inverters. There are a lot of modified sine wave inverters listed on ebay.co.uk but I've got one of those already. I would like a pure sine wave inverter, and excluding the high rated, high priced ones, the only one I have seen lately is the 300W continuous, 600W peak, which I think is the same one you have seen. Your original post said you could get 600W inverters for £50. The points I was trying to make were: (i) this one is 600W peak not 600W continuous and (ii) although the list price may be £50, you have to pay an additional £30, so in reality this is not a 600w inverter for £50, it is a 300W inverter for £80.

I am not saying that you are wrong. I am sure you are right and it's just that this week no-one is listing what I am looking for. Perhaps I should look at the .com web site for greater choice?

Reply to
Stephen