Interlinked smoke alarms - wireless or wired? Recommendations?

I did post about the gfs alarm CO detector going off.

I only fitted it a couple of weeks before it activated.

She said she had a headache and was falling asleep before it activated.

Reply to
ARW

- reports the various bodies that recommend replacing alarms after 10 years (including in my case the manufacturers)

- reviews the evidence for the life of smoke alarms

- concludes:

"Evidence of smoke alarm longevity appears to be scarce and inconclusive. As with other electronic items, there will be failures in the units when they are produced and failures during their lifetime due to individual component faults. Similarly, as they get older more faults are likely to occur. Problems specific to smoke detectors include increased sensitivity

In all the work identified so far, none has specifically concentrated on the failure of smoke alarms when they age. Smoke alarms do fail but the rate at which they do has not been accurately determined or related to their age.

Despite there not being much research, it does seem appropriate to replace smoke alarms after ten years (in line with manufacturers advice), unless individual alarm testing suggests earlier replacement."

I've kept ours a bit past 10 years. But then I know they have always been protected during decorating etc, and I have lately tested them using a spray, not just by pushing the button.

<tin-foil-hat>

And they use PP3s* so I don't have to worry about a lithium rechargeable buried in the guts with a timer set to blow the fuse 10 years and one day after first use :)

*rechargeables - though I've decided I'm too old for another 10 years of routinely taking them out to recharge
Reply to
Robin

Hair spay?

I cannot remember if it is AICO the suggests/mandates that you do not use smoke spray on their detectors.

Reply to
ARW
<snip>

No! (I did tell, I'm a good girl I am.)

I bloody well hope not as I bought Aico SAA300 Synthetic Smoke

Reply to
Robin

Apparently their smoke is OK

Reply to
ARW

Is the CO detector in the same room as the CO source?

I've just tried getting Audiolink data from mine, but it's not responding to the "3 presses in 5 seconds" so I've emailed Aico.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

ta for that

Reply to
Robin

The ones I had with a short battery life (less than 5 years) were non-rechargeable but when purchased claimed a 10 year battery life.

Reply to
alan_m

FYI the Which report on the Ei208 makes it a "don't buy"

nothanks

In which case (as it's Which) I shall apply the dennis and harry rule and assume that they are safe.

Reply to
ARW

AudioLINK didn?t come into the CO alarms until 2015. The alarm I have was made in 2014.

(It had Audiolink on the box though, but that happens when you buy safety of life critical equipment off ebay)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

On 09/07/2019 19:40, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote: <snip>

That deserves a Wiki page for "Epitaphs for DIYers"

Reply to
Robin

They don't need to. I have staircases to ground either side of the bedroom. And smoke alarms on each. I only need one of those to warn me of a problem.

Reply to
newshound