Insulating under suspended wooden floor

Exactly so; but why put the plastic down first, when all the crawling over it will likely bugger it?

Reply to
grimly4

In article , george [dicegeorge] writes

Building regs here (Scotland) require the underfloor surface to be sealed, tar in older times and weak mix mortar more recently. I'd expect something similar doon sooth too.

Reply to
fred

that's for a none suspended floor.

Now it happens that I have a block and beam suspended concrete floor here, and yes, over the block and beam is a tough sheet of polythene, and then some insulation, and then some screed.

But there is no requirement to actually stop the moisture at earth level.

That's what the ventilation is all about.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No, this is on suspended floors.

It's been done on every underfloor I have come across up here. With the effort and expense involved, I doubt they'd do it without it being a requirement. Remember things are different up here eg. all roofs have boarded sarking.

Reply to
fred

Yes - every house I've seen under the floor of in Scotland had that. I don't know when it was introduced, but certainly my '30s bungalow had tar laid down on the ground underneath.

My experience too.

Reply to
grimly4