instantaneous hot water boiler

Hello all. Many years ago I rented a flat which had a gas instantaneous hot water boiler which would fire when the hot taps were operated. Are these still available? I currently have an immersion heater in the loft and I'm thinking of doing away with the tanks in the loft and having hot water on tap (as it were). I don't want/need central heating. Also, can the boiler be sited downstairs (kitchen) and feed upstairs bathroom without problems? How much approx can I expect?

thanks in advance.

fray bentos

Reply to
Fray Bentos

How about a combination boiler? You can use it to heat just your tapwater. You don't have to have a central heating system connected to it. Having said that, I don't speak from first-hand experience. Anyway, a combi-boiler will cost you about £400 or so plus fitting, and yes, it can be sited upstairs or downstairs. There are building regulations governing how the flue must be positioned.

Jimmy

I figured a non-combi would be cheaper...

fray

Reply to
Fray Bentos

There has been a long running range under the name Main (now owned by Potterton)

have the BF version (actually the model just before the current one), and have been perfectly happy with it. It doesn't need any electricity supply, so it continues working fine during power cuts (not true for the FF model I suspect).

Yes. I think mine was around £250 4 years ago (Plumbcenter, but I didn't search around -- needed a replacement for a much older one rather suddenly).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

============== They are readily available and they can be fitted upstairs or downstairs and require no tanks. Regardless of location a certain minimum mains water pressure is required. Do a 'google' for 'multipoint water heater'. You'll find plenty of useful information there

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

instantaneous

About the same price. A cheap combi gives about the same flowrate of hot water. If the CH part is not used then a loop of pipe from the flow to the return is required. Contact makers first on how to do it. In most cases it is fine, as long as the thermostat terminals are not looped, which means the CH section will never switch in.

You could just have one towel rail off it to heat the towels, which is very handy.

Main do multi-points, and one model has no electrics working only on water pressure and a gas valve, so if a power cut you still have hot water. One model is basically the same as a boiler: fan flue, etc, so may as well get a cheap combi with a higher flowrate if you want a heated towel rail.

fan flue model needs electrics, the balanced does not.

fan flue = 9.3 litre/min balanced flue = 10.1 litre/min (which is not bad and equive to low flowrate combi's, and if you don't want a towel rail then this is fine)

A combi gives scope to add heating in the future.

A multipoint is fine for showers, but fills a bath very slowly.

Reply to
IMM

Known as "multipoints" and they`re horrible :-) - crap flow rate.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

I knew I could rely on you all for help and information.

cheers all.

fray

Reply to
Fray Bentos

I would recomend the Brittony 2 , very simple

, not a lot to go wrong on it .

Tony