Installing Heat reflective film to windows

Yes, I have see examples of their functional and decorative 'frosted glass' / divider work, the sort of large logos you see in the fancy offices and banks in London.

Oh sure.

I wonder if you can predict anything (realistic) from the '56% solar energy reduction'? Like how much is coming from the frame, walls or elsewhere to know what percentage of the overall percentage it will be?

And this is a d-i-y group. ;-)

I watched a mate trying to get some tinted film on the (concave) inside of a camper van window. He was using a hot air gun and a plastic spreader thing and initially it was all over the place and looked like it wasn't ever going to succeed. Then, after a very long time chasing air bubbles and wrinkles all over the place, it looked like he had done it when he caught the corner of the tool in the film and tore it. All went silent for a few seconds then he tore it all off. ;-)

No, but assuming it's at least 'sunny' and the sun in the worst direction then the outside / inside temps would still be relevant / comparative wouldn't they?

Ouch!

I have an internal / external thermometer here and have been putting the external bit just inside the main (South facing) window. Yesterday with window and curtains closed it was 33DegC where I sit and the same by the Window. Then I opened the window and curtains and the external temp immediately crept up to 34.

OOI, I have a 'Crookes radiometer' on the internal windowsill and it's interesting to see just what (level of solar energy) triggers it. Like right now with no real sun about but fairly bright it's *just* moving (1 rev every 5 seconds). As soon as the sun hits it properly it looks like it's going to fly off it's bearing. ;-)

(Mine is similar).

It typically reflects the activity you would be getting from a solar panel at that time.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

An interesting idea to use something removable. But you could just use whit e louvre shutters :-)

Another option might be greenhouse shading paint.

the fancy stuff, £16 covers 5.4 m2.

£7.50 for an 8x6' greenhouse!

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

49% transmittance 56% rejection makes it close to zero better than semi silvered film.

NT

Reply to
Nick Cat

I can't quantify it, but the temps lately were:

Inner side of blind when down (and window open): 55C Ceiling: 45C Walls: 35-40C Downstairs: 25C Outside: 33C

From the pictures I suspect the roof is uninsulated (we'll find out come winter time) but by far the hottest part is the window. So I suspect the major part of the heating is coming from solar gain.

If I mess up, it's 40 quid down. Which isn't going to kill me. If I succeed, I don't need to get someone out. This is only for one room, BTW. If I succeed I'll do the other two.

Not necessarily, given the possibility of solar gain from other surfaces such as the roof. However I might do one window and not the other and see if the difference is noticeable. With the blind down it limits how much the temperature equalises with the rest of the room so you can see the incoming flux better.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

I'd be no good at it as I used to always get bubbles in wallpaper and have corner peeling off. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

I have a thermal emergency 'blanket' which is gold one side, silver the other and stick that on the inside of the patio doors with blue masking tape during extreme hot weather.

The permanently applied stuff does cut the light levels dramatically, which might annoy you on a gloomy winter day.

Reply to
Andrew