Infinitely-adjustable angled joint for 1" (approx) metal tube?

Suppose you had an aluminium garden rake handle and you wanted to make an infinitely-adjustable angled joint half way along. Where can such a joint be obtained cheaply, (preferably made of rust-proof metal - ideally aluminium)? The joint should have a built-in screw or bolt for tightening it at the set angle. Has anyone seen such an item for sale lately?

Even if it is part of some tool or other equipment, it would be of interest, if the tool can be bought fairly cheaply. (I can cut the joint out and use it for my application). Those garden parasols come to mind...

The joint has to be quite strong. Plastic would probably not be strong or rigid enough.

Thanking you, hopefully...

Al D

Reply to
Al D

There is something like that on my shower head - a ball joint is what you want, although they only do about 45 degrees either side of straight.

Used in many places for many things..

Otherwise a pair of straight angle joints at 90 degrees will get you universal movement..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A ball joint would not be rigid enough, the joint angle would slip with the lightest pressure. What is needed is one of those joints where it locks with teeth giving a choice of several fixed angles. That would need much less pressure on the joint bolt to make it stay where put.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

As used on parasols over garden tables? I'll bet a pub would have a few old ones which could be cannibalised.

Reply to
Steve Walker

I a ball joint won't work, but joint capable of movement in one plane only with mating faces equipped with teeth should work fine.

Reply to
Steve Firth

The message from Harry Bloomfield contains these words:

But that's not "infinitely adjustable".

Me, I'd saw a bit of round bar down the middle and weld each half into a bit of pipe. Cross drill it near one end before sawing and turn it round so you get room to swing without fouling. File the radius if you're feeling posh.

Reply to
Guy King

They're used at the base of angle-poise type lamps for mounting on drawing boards. You might be able to find somewhere chucking out drawing boards as they move to CAD.

Also used on some boom arms for microphone stands. Drum kits might also be a possible source of supply -

Owain

Yes - a joint with teeth of some kind that lock together when a screw is tighetened would be ideal.

BTW I chose my words badly when I said "infinitely adjustable" The joint only actually needs to give adjustment from zero degrees to about 15 degrees - however just about any angle within that range must be possible; that's what I meant. I only need to change the angle in one plane/direction; i.e., a universal joint is not required.

The type of joint used to give adjustable tilt to garden parasols is the kind of thing I need - but it must be strong and hopefully corrosion-proof, as it will be used under seawater.

Thanks to all for the responses so far.

Al D

Reply to
Al D

Please ingnore my "infinitely adjustable" term. It was a bad choice of words. I only need about 15% of adjustment from straight, and in one direction.

That would certainly be one way. (Thanks for the suggestion). I would use aluminium bar for that (rust-prroof but easy to saw). And perhaps a stainless steel bolt. Some Loctite between the mating faces should provide sufficient anti-slip.

Can anyone suggest where I can get a small amout (6") of 1" diameter aluminium bar?

Thanks...

Al D

Reply to
Al D

Thanks for the good suggestions. I now seem to remember seeing some kind of joint on a drum kit that would have been ideal.

Al D

Reply to
Al D

The message from Al D contains these words:

You mean smoothly adjustable between straight and 15°, yes?

Reply to
Guy King

I'd be surprised if marine steel suppliers wouldn't already have something similar, but a drum kit might be a suitable source for a prototype.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I remember where you can get this sort of thing.

On top of a camera tripod.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ball joint WILL work if its lockable.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes. However, someone has suggested the concept of teeth that engage: If the joint has small notches or teeth that force the adjustments to be in, say, 1-degree increments, that would be fine too.

Al D

Reply to
Al D

How about cannabilising an old big floodlight housing?

Most have a locking adjustable tilt mechanism at each side, where it attaches to the bracket.

The mechanism is usually something like serrated circular surfaces, bolted together at the pivot point. The serrations lock the adjustment.

Some bigger floodlights would probably have something big enough.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

Or not even the floodlight housing itself - just use both sides of the bracket.

Remove or hacksaw the arms off each side of the bracket, and assemble them directly together, with the serrated surfaces facing each other.

We've got some big marine floodlights here with some beefy aluminium brackets that would certainly fit the bill.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

Google for Metal Supermarket

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Good suggestion - thank you. However, my search is over! I got lucky today in Lidl's I found and aluminium-handled broom with an adjustable joint. The joint is made of plastic, but it does look extremely strong, so I think it will be ideal.

Thanks again to all respondees.

Al D

Reply to
Al D

The message from Al D contains these words:

1° teeth would be so fine as to be fairly useless.
Reply to
Guy King