Incomprehensible instructions???

That depends on the DIY person. I would probably be able to fix the common faults which tend to be dry joints caused by the heat and vibration.

Reply to
dennis

If you have a Ford, you can read some things off on the dash. Holding in the trip-reset while turning on the ignition and then keeping it held in 'til it displays "test" lets you step through various things using the trip-reset button.

For some reason the colouring of my car's dials is atrocious, you can read the speed in mph no problem, but the kph scale needs a long look in certain light - so when abroad, I use the test mode to change the tripmeter into a digital kph speedo.

With my Rover of a few years back, I made a sort of large screwdriver tool. For the Ford, you need to apply a fair bit of pressure too, so I bought the right tool for £25. £20 for the tool and £5 for the adapter as Ford use a differently spaced set of pins to most of the others.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

£25 from a local car parts shop near me.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I'm not convinced that these "universal" tools would work.

Reply to
Mark

It's not a Ford. And I can't locate a useful workshop manual for it either.

It's not simply a matter of applying pressure. You need to apply pressure and /turn/ the piston simultaneously.

Reply to
Mark

Do you think your callipers are unique to Audi? Other makers fit the same make of brakes which use the same system for retracting the pistons.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On what turned out to be my last visit to a BMW main dealer for an oil service - the cheapest one - they decided to change the cabin pollen filters. They were neither scheduled to be changed or needed doing. They are very easy to get at and I give them a hoover out every once in a while, but in any case had been changed according to the service schedule. Extra charge over the basic service near 100 quid. They - as part of the service costs - had picked up and returned the car from my work, so I couldn't query it at the time, as I would have done if picking up the car.

But did the next day. Got a rant from the service supervisor about people asking for things to be done on the phone then denying they'd done so. I hadn't contacted them and asked for this - why would I? The best they would offer was I return the car and they'd put the old ones back in. They carefully store old filters just in case this is needed? I think not. And I wasn't going to have any old rubbish in the air feed to the cabin. There could be anything on ones removed from a dustbin.

Wrote to their head office and BMW UK. Got nowhere. So will never use a BMW main dealer again.

Reply to
DerbyBoy

Oy DerbyBoy, d'ye thing you could use a better newsreader, or learn to configure the one you've got? Then I won't look at a post and think - hey, this was already posted the other day. And then when I realise you've just added some stuff after the guys signature, I won't have to look up and down it to discover what's actually new and what belongs to the previous post.

And none of the stuff *you* posted gets included in my reply, because you've made it part of the previous poster's signature.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I thought he'd switched to Xnews instead, maybe he didn't get on with it?

Reply to
Andy Burns