Incandescent!

See:

TheOldFellow

the comments section:

"60 Watt bulbs can be made to produce as much if not more light than a 100W bulb. Take a batch (say 20 or so) of brand new 60 Watt bulbs and place in a domestic oven. Heat the oven to 220 degrees Celsius for 3 to 4 hours and then cool the bulbs slowly. This process, which is not done during manufacture for cost reasons, makes the molecules of the contaminants bond with the atoms the tungsten filament. This produces a cleaning and purifying process and results in a much brighter burning of the filament and hence a geatly enhanced light output."

Strange! I would have thought that the same effect, if it exists at all, could be obtained by "breaking in" at a lower voltage with several lamps in series. And don't the solder contacts melt at 220C?

Reply to
Eiron

The comment is just as accurate as many other comments on this subject which you'll find posted around. What worries me more are the numbers of people falling for such bullshit (probably a reflection on the dumming down of science education over the last generation), and the number of pseudo-official organisations (medical ones particularly) spouting such bullshit.

It feels like the human evolutionary thirst for knowledge and understanding of our surroundings is coming to an abrupt end.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Andrew Gabriel coughed up some electrons that declared:

The new Dark Age?

From Wikipedia:

"The Dark Ages is a term in historiography referring to a period of cultural decline or societal collapse that took place in Western Europe between the fall of Rome and the eventual recovery of learning."

Witches => Kiddie fiddlers (Ok, less burning involved) Christians kicking infidel ass => Muslims kicking infidel ass Church authority absolute => Government authority absolute Thinking discouraged => no change

Reply to
Tim S

bulbs slowly.

kes the molecules

duces a cleaning

ament and hence

Of course, what you really need is a powerful magnet next to the bulb to polarise the photons being emitted

:^)

Paul.

Reply to
zymurgy

>Hurrah.Taken from the "comments" section. Does this work?

"There is a simple and effective way around the 'ban' on 100 Watt light bulbs. 60 Watt bulbs can be made to produce as much if not more light than a 100W bulb. Nearly all of these bulbs are made in Eastern Block countries such as Hungary, Poland and even Kazakhstan. The inert gas with which they are filled (usually Argon or Trypton) is often of low purity and contain contaminants which react with the filament to reduce light output. Take a batch (say 20 or so) of brand new 60 Watt bulbs and place in a domestic oven. Heat the oven to 220 degrees Celsius for 3 to 4 hours and then cool the bulbs slowly. This process, which is not done during manufacture for cost reasons, makes the molecules of the contaminants bond with the atoms the tungsten filament. This produces a cleaning and purifying process and results in a much brighter burning of the filament and hence a geatly enhanced light output."

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

>>>Hurrah.>

Make sure you baste them every half-hour to stop them drying out.

Reply to
pete

>> Hurrah.

With snake oil, I take it?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

I'm absolutely certain that is because of the general propensity to hire arts educated people for customer facing roles. Apparently because (the) Oi polloi have a greater affinity for them because scientists and engineers are seen as nerdy and isolated.

Protest about it and you get told that nothing in this world, no structure, no machine, no medical compound can ever do any good until it is sold.

Hence the salesman is paid to go around doing just that, and the scientist / engineer is called / regarded as "an oily rag", (This terminology is nowadays common in state broad-corping.

I find it most distressing, in SWMBO's case. She and her peers simply do not want know or to be told that the greasy "anti ageing" body treatments containing "gold" and "collagen" etc sold on QVC, ditto all the shampoos and conditioners containing vitamins (Hair, of course being dead) for £30, £50, £70 and more are just fat, industrial detergent, starch and face putty.

Similar products exist for hands and feet and that Anita Bollick is the chief offender.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Got the same problem here.

It's also affected our second son. Into all types of face and hair muck, deoderants and "designer" clothing.

He hasn't a clue what a spanner looks like but the exterior and interior of his car are immaculate. I had to shift it the other day. Clatter bang, clatter, bang. Blxxdy exhaust belting hell out of the floor pan!

Reply to
Clot

So the following will not surprise you then

ARWadsworth

ARWadsworth coughed up some electrons that declared:

"Others had heard food items such as kebabs, Coca-cola or crisps could be used as oral contraceptives."

I suspect the rationale being, if you eat a bab, noone is going to come near you, let alone sh*g you...

*sigh*
Reply to
Tim S

In message , Tim S writes

Or ...

once inserted, there is little room for anything else

Reply to
geoff

Cosmetic adverts drive me nuts. Every one has to have a unique ingredient with a psuedo scientific name.

The statistics they use are even worse. "86% of women agree" (129 women sampled) etc. That is not a scientific study by any standard. And I'd guess the 129 women are deliberately selected.

IIRC there are several products that reduce the appearance of wrinkles by using a skin irritant to puff up the area.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

If you apply logic then

1) A pregnant woman cannot get pregnant.

2) Use pregnancy as birth control.

It is a tried and tested method in Hastings, Doncaster and Sunderland as a birth control method.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

... ie it has the same result as putting on a little weight. Buy the diet cereals (which are high in carbs), buy the diet mags (which dont work) then pay premium for a cosmetic to make you look slightly fatter. You couldnt make it up. I really dont get why people fall for it all.

NT

Reply to
NT

why would cling film not make a barrier? It is waterproof afaik.

NT

Reply to
NT

why would cling film not make a barrier? It is waterproof afaik.

NT

Spunk proof?

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

ARWadsworth coughed up some electrons that declared:

Too technical. They use crisp packets in Chatham.

Reply to
Tim S

What flavour?

Adam