See:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columnists/christopherbooker/6143644/Defra-confirms-its-bulb-ban-is-not-legal.html
R.
Add pictures here
✖
TheOldFellow wrote:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columnists/christopherbooker/6143644/Defra-confirms-its-bulb-ban-is-not-legal.html
In the comments section:
"60 Watt bulbs can be made to produce as much if not more light than a 100W bulb. Take a batch (say 20 or so) of brand new 60 Watt bulbs and place in a domestic oven. Heat the oven to 220 degrees Celsius for 3 to 4 hours and then cool the bulbs slowly. This process, which is not done during manufacture for cost reasons, makes the molecules of the contaminants bond with the atoms the tungsten filament. This produces a cleaning and purifying process and results in a much brighter burning of the filament and hence a geatly enhanced light output."
Strange! I would have thought that the same effect, if it exists at all, could be obtained by "breaking in" at a lower voltage with several lamps in series. And don't the solder contacts melt at 220C?
--
Eiron.

Add pictures here
✖

The comment is just as accurate as many other comments on this subject which you'll find posted around. What worries me more are the numbers of people falling for such bullshit (probably a reflection on the dumming down of science education over the last generation), and the number of pseudo-official organisations (medical ones particularly) spouting such bullshit.
It feels like the human evolutionary thirst for knowledge and understanding of our surroundings is coming to an abrupt end.
--
Andrew Gabriel
✖

The new Dark Age?
From Wikipedia:
"The Dark Ages is a term in historiography referring to a period of cultural decline or societal collapse that took place in Western Europe between the fall of Rome and the eventual recovery of learning."
Witches => Kiddie fiddlers (Ok, less burning involved) Christians kicking infidel ass => Muslims kicking infidel ass Church authority absolute => Government authority absolute Thinking discouraged => no change
Add pictures here
✖
On Sep 6, 12:29 pm, snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

Of course, what you really need is a powerful magnet next to the bulb to polarise the photons being emitted
:^)
Paul.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 6 Sep 2009 11:29:38 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

I'm absolutely certain that is because of the general propensity to hire arts educated people for customer facing roles. Apparently because (the) Oi polloi have a greater affinity for them because scientists and engineers are seen as nerdy and isolated.
Protest about it and you get told that nothing in this world, no structure, no machine, no medical compound can ever do any good until it is sold.

Hence the salesman is paid to go around doing just that, and the scientist / engineer is called / regarded as "an oily rag", (This terminology is nowadays common in state broad-corping.

I find it most distressing, in SWMBO's case. She and her peers simply do not want know or to be told that the greasy "anti ageing" body treatments containing "gold" and "collagen" etc sold on QVC, ditto all the shampoos and conditioners containing vitamins (Hair, of course being dead) for £30, £50, £70 and more are just fat, industrial detergent, starch and face putty.
Similar products exist for hands and feet and that Anita Bollick is the chief offender.
Derek
Add pictures here
✖
Derek Geldard wrote:

Got the same problem here.
It's also affected our second son. Into all types of face and hair muck, deoderants and "designer" clothing.
He hasn't a clue what a spanner looks like but the exterior and interior of his car are immaculate. I had to shift it the other day. Clatter bang, clatter, bang. Blxxdy exhaust belting hell out of the floor pan!
Add pictures here
✖
Derek Geldard wrote: <SNIP>

Cosmetic adverts drive me nuts. Every one has to have a unique ingredient with a psuedo scientific name.
The statistics they use are even worse. "86% of women agree" (129 women sampled) etc. That is not a scientific study by any standard. And I'd guess the 129 women are deliberately selected.
IIRC there are several products that reduce the appearance of wrinkles by using a skin irritant to puff up the area.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

... ie it has the same result as putting on a little weight. Buy the diet cereals (which are high in carbs), buy the diet mags (which dont work) then pay premium for a cosmetic to make you look slightly fatter. You couldnt make it up. I really dont get why people fall for it all.
NT
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 06 Sep 2009 21:54:10 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"

Starch is used in a similar way to "tighten the skin", that is it shrinks and sets hard as it dries. The effect is the same as a sloppy eater getting mashed potato all over her face and allowing it to dry.
Noticing a rank odour in the bathroom once I saw SWMBO had left a jar of anti-ageing cream open on the window sill. It must have contained a very high proportion of cheap fat (lanolin ?? ) because it had gone rancid and stunk the place out to high heaven. My wife had just been rubbing it into her face with gay abandon and most certainly didn't want to be told her 70 quid's worth had gone off months ago. :-))
However we're all missing the point which is that they (like the Goons) "don't wish to know that"and find it distasteful to remain in the same room whilst it is being pointed out, acting as if it's heretical to even contemplate criticising "Francois le Fuff" on QVC and his face cream containing the Collagen of executed Chinese prisoners with added * GOLD * and D.N.A..
Of course IGWS Gold is absolutely 100% biologically inactive, and DNA is a very large molecule indeed , unlikely to penetrate the skin in one piece.
Derek
Add pictures here
✖
The Medway Handyman wrote: <>

My "favourite" is probably the one which proclaims its Hyaluronic acid content.
If you find someone who is desperately ill with hypothyroidism they have "mucinous" deposits consisting largely of Hyaluronic acid to blame for their bloated, puffy appearance. Also causes other tissue damage and maybe even carpal tunnel syndrome.
--
Rod

Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 07 Sep 2009 07:09:58 +0100, Rod wrote:

Everything seems to be Pro(insert twaddle of choice). One mentioned Pro-age (don't they understand pro-?); another mentioned butterfly - lepidopteral skin, madame?
--
Peter.
✖
writes:

So the following will not surprise you then
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8238789.stm
Adam
Add pictures here
✖
ARWadsworth coughed up some electrons that declared:

"Others had heard food items such as kebabs, Coca-cola or crisps could be used as oral contraceptives."
I suspect the rationale being, if you eat a bab, noone is going to come near you, let alone sh*g you...
*sigh*
Add pictures here
✖

Or ...
once inserted, there is little room for anything else
--
geoff

Add pictures here
✖
writes

If you apply logic then
1) A pregnant woman cannot get pregnant.
2) Use pregnancy as birth control.
It is a tried and tested method in Hastings, Doncaster and Sunderland as a birth control method.
Adam
Add pictures here
✖
ARWadsworth wrote: <>

Just the other day I read an article about the various forms of twins - which included those from different fathers and the same oestrus and, even more rarely, with the second from a different oestrus and (probably) a different father.
So pregnancy does not appear to be an absolute bar on conceiving a second time...
--
Rod

Add pictures here
✖

Our twins were at different stages of development when born. One was full term, the other was premmy. It was suggested that they had been conceived separately. They were both white though.
Bill
Add pictures here
✖
Bill Wright wrote:

My oldest friend is a twin - she was full-term, her sister was a preemie. It does happen.
Add pictures here
✖

Were they both white? Ours were.
Bill