Identifying redundant pipework

I am in the process of re-doing my bathroom.

My bathroom is on the ground floor of a block of flats (old fashioned Glasgow tenament for those familiar with Glasgow). I have 2 pipes running up one of my bathroom walls and am able to identify one of the pipes as my upstairs neighbours cold water supply.

There is however another pipe which is much older (its lead for a start) and I havent been able to identify whether it is still in use or not.

I want to determine whether the pipe is still in use or not. I have asked my neighbours but they are unsure and cant identify where it is leading to. There are no obvious signs that it halts anywhere and I have lifted my bathroom floor and the lead pipe is connected to a copper pipe under my floor. The copper piping looks relatively old too and could well have been how the hot-water supply was provided prior to the installation of a combi boiler.

Does anyone know how I can determine whether or not this pipework is redundant so that I can remove it if it is?

Thanks,

Paul

Reply to
paulkearney

Hold a screwdriver blade on the pipe, put the handle in your ear. Turn on everything. If you can hear water running, it's in use.

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

This might not help ( I stay in Shawlands) but....

Dunno if all tenements were piped the same way but mine has a common cold main going up the building in the bathroom near to the window and another common clod main in the kitchen .In the kitchen there are also several lead pipes which are vents from hot water cylinders for each flat ( most of them are redundant ,except one which is mine) ,so there will be one from the ground floor with another being introduced at each level until there are four at the top( this per side of the stair .each side having it's own pipework) . There is also another pipe that comes down from the cold water tank in the loft which feeds any hot water cylinders . The hot water in the bathroom comes from the HWC under the floor and enters the bathroom to feed the bath and wash hand basin .......

Last time I put in a bathroom ceiling I found a lead pipe sticking out the bathroom wall well above head height so dunno what that might have been but it got taken out anyway ..

You say that you have identified ONE of these two pipes as your neighbours cold water supply ...I find that odd as I thought tenemnts had common risng mains with feeds to each flat ..one..maybe two as I have ... perside of the stair .

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

But could it be gas .??? Possibly a reduntant gas pipe . Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Lead gas pipes were common in the tenements, so I wouldn't rely on that.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

You wouldn't hear the water if it was a gas pipe.

Reply to
<me9

Squash the lead pipe flat with a pair of mole grips & see if anyone complains!

Reply to
Phil