Ideal home exhibition

We went to this today. Very poor from a diy viewpoint, only found 2 very small stands selling drill bits.. Smart meters/solar power and a few other "good" ideas were being promoted to the unwise. Quite liked the glass fibre plunge pools which will fit on a patio, she has put a block on that good idea. Found a beautiful dining table made from a 5 inch clover shaped cross section of a 12ft tree trunk, but couldn't quite justify the £4K price. Lots of hot tubs, gazebos, double glazing and solid wood furniture. As usual food prices were high, but managed to buy an 8oz real meat burger for £4. There were almost no major manufacturers exhibiting and the show houses reminded me of Habitat/Ikea. Lots of led acrylic drop lamps. Came away with a few thoughts, but nothing was purchased.

This was a coach trip as I never drive into London these days. Nearly 3 hours each way to do 30 miles. The journey back through Kensington etc really showed the appalling state of overpriced London houses. Cracked render and badly maintained grey/stained fascias were the norm. Most houses needed room lights on at 5pm in bright sunlight. I was beginning to think Mr Pounder was right, then I remembered Bradford. The comment I heard 50 years ago seems appropriate, "Civilisation begins at Dover when you come to the UK and stops on the outskirts of all the major cities"! I really understand why all the workers commute.

Reply to
Capitol

I last went in the 80's as a kid and it had some cool stuff.

Was there no home automation? The market is swimming with new and interesting products and it's exactly the place you would have expected to find that stuff.

Yes - you will never get me back into London...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Sounds like a description of somewhere in South America orAfrica. We are turning into a third world country thanks to all the immigration.

Reply to
harryagain

I went a couple of years or so ago and was very disappointed. I remember it as having lots of stands with odd, ingenious but probably useless gizmos and found none of that.

I go by train. IME, coach trips either don't give you long enough at your destination or give you far too long.

Reply to
Nightjar

I have not been to one for years for the reasons you say. After fighting through the underground and busses etc, you then find the place is full of make over ideas and people who charge lots of dosh to do it for you.

I think I'm going to start a new trend. the slightly stressed kitchen look. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I agree, by train is my preference. There were almost no gizmos and little home automation.

Reply to
Capitol

My wife and I went to the one in Manchester, extremely disappointed. Have been getting begging emails from them ever since trying to incite us to go to the London version, no way!! As regards London housing stock, the houses and front gardens are a disgrace, considering the prices one would think they would look after them better.

Reply to
Broadback

The Ideal Home Exhibition has been a waste of space DIY wise for many a year. Most who went will have some 'must have' gadget in a cupboard somewhere that didn't actually do what was demonstrated.

You've seen all of London's housing stock?

Or perhaps just that on major roads which are often under rented multiple occupation.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I never claimed to see all of London's housing stock. However my son has a house in London, and walking around there the houses, which are occupied tend to be tatty. The front gardens have all types of rubbish in them.

Reply to
Broadback

And which particular bit of London would that be?

In case you hadn't noticed, "London" covers a very wide range of demographics.

Reply to
Adrian

The comments are generally true for everything within the north and south circular roads.

Reply to
Capitol

You really do talk s**te. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I guess you walk around blindfolded then if you can't see what's around you. Mr Pounder can see it.

Reply to
Capitol

I'm just wondering when you got the time to look at every road bounded by the N&S Circular. More so given you claim to work 100 hours a week. So basically you haven't. And are therefore talking s**te, as I said.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I appreciate that you are not greatly in favour of working hard and earning the rewards. However, I used to work 100hrs a week before I earned enough money to not work at all. I did not claim to have inspected all the houses in the area concerned. My experience of the housing in the area described, which I have observed for over 50yrs, is that it is generally poorly maintained and provides few amenities for the residents as it has an excessive housing density. There is almost no parkland for the average child to enjoy which is why most families choose to commute.

Reply to
Capitol

How little you know.

But you gave the impression it was your norm.

And you think things are the same now as 50 years ago? Say no more.

I have three large commons all within easy walking distance. Closest one 5 minutes away. And others within a short drive. Including Richmond Park. As well as lots of smaller parks.

Thanks for proving you simply don't know the areas you're talking about. London is a vast place. Very few who don't live there know more than the routes they use to travel through it. Even many who live there rarely know much more of it than their immediate area.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks for demonstrating your inability to see the real world.

Reply to
Capitol

I could just have said pretty well all the houses and gardens round here are very well kept. As you'd expect, given what they cost to buy these days. But that would be saying the bit I know well *must* be the same as everywhere else. Which I haven't, because I wouldn't claim to know all of London, like you.

Of course you may only think rows of identical modern ticky tacky houses are the only way to look neat. Plenty do.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)