Id a connector (electronics) for me pls?

These connectors seem quite popular in various electronics items. Can anyone tell me what they are called? It looks like some kind of insertion tool is needed to make the plugs off. I build the odd electronic project as hobby (audio amp etc) and these would be very useful for psu inputs etc. thanks

dave

George

Why not use PC style motherboard power connectors?

look a bit more substantial (rated 7A) than the PCB header connectors suggested by George.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Don't think I agree. The OP's connectors have the locking clip on the crimp housing (none show it clearly -- it's on the backs or obscured). The Maplin ones have it on the PCB connector and it is a different type (not so locking).

The other thing is that the cables look to be high temperature types. What's the application and what sort of current? Many of this type of connector are not good with high currents or high temperatures, but maybe that was only needed for the other end of the cables?

Don't have my electronics catalogues here to lookup anything similar at the moment.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In message , dave wrote

Available from

0.1 inch pitch (2.54mm). The male connectors come assembled. The female shells are just a receptacle for connectors that are crimped to the end of the wire. The connectors then just push into the shells where an angled lug prevents it coming out again.

Reply to
Alan

Yes that's right - these particular connectors are in a bread making machine and they are carrying mains current to the element (two for 2 thermal fuses and the middle one for the element)! It's just btw in this case as I don't want to use then for high temp applications though. Have seen them used in a few piece of kit - they seem quite popular and reliable. Having said that, last week I saw a nicely cooked cable coming out of one of these - used in an audio mixer desk. The connector was ok but the hair-thin cable was carrying 3A DC and nice and crispy!

Yes - they are away from the hot areas.

Reply to
dave

In article , Andrew Gabriel scribeth thus

Reckon their Molex connectors CPC or RS components refer..

Reply to
tony sayer

You'd probably be better off with something you can get from Maplins - like the Molex KK series or something.

Reply to
JamesB

a wide range of ways and current handling. The wire ended connectors require the correct crimp tool for termination - the actual connectors being supplied loose. They then simply push into the housing. PCB mounting types are supplied complete.

Any of the usual electronics suppliers stock a variety - CPC, RS, Rapid etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Have you seen the prices they want for the correct crimping tool?

They must be gold plated at least.

I bought one of these

the cheapest I could find, but I haven't used it yet. unfortunately they seem to be out of stock at the moment.

Rick... (The other Rick)

Science and sound engineering will always prevail in the end "for nature cannot be fooled" [Feynman]

Reply to
Rick... (The other Rick)

cheaper than Maplins.

Rick... (The other Rick)

Science and sound engineering will always prevail in the end "for nature cannot be fooled" [Feynman]

Reply to
Rick... (The other Rick)

if you're only a few to do you could just 'crimp' them with long nose pliers and then solder to make sure of the connection.

Reply to
whisky-dave