i-pad and Zoom.

I host a Zoom meeting that an elderly friend attends. 99 years old last week, and getting a bit senile. I get emails saying he has logged into the meeting several times a week - and the meeting is weekly. He always did have problems unmuting - but recently can't seem to do it at all. Which is sad because we all enjoyed his contributions.

I've set the meeting so you join unmuted. Against my better judgement. ;-) Your local Zoom settings allow you to join either muted or unmuted, and a neighbour of his who I've spoken too said he'd checked the i-pad and it is correctly set. But didn't give me the impression he was up on such things. Anything else that could stop this i-pad unmuting? I'm not even certain he remembers how to do it. And I wouldn't know an i-pad if it bit me on the bum.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I thought the host could unmute all the participants. I go to a fitness class. The meeting starts with a chat then the host mutes everyone as the actual class starts. At the end of the class, the host unmutes everyone to allow feedback.

Reply to
Scott

I think that only works if the participants have already enabled their microphones. You can’t remotely change someone’s iPad settings via zoom.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Yes, it would be quite creepy if you joined a call muted and the host could unmute you and eavesdrop on what was happening at your end.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

I can ask the host.

Reply to
Scott

Well yes, but the host can do bugger all about your sound (and/or video) if they’re not already enabled at your end.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

He or someone needs to check Zoom has access to the mic would be my guess.

It is possible he is muting his audio but, given he is aware of that, I assume he knows to check it. Plus you’ve set the default to unmuted.

As for zoom access, rather than my talking you through it, do a Google - others have covered it with pictures, which will be much clearer.

Reply to
Brian

Host says - 'The meeting may be configured so that participants are automatically muted on entry. The Host and Co-Host may also, at any time, issue a general Mute. I don't think they can prevent anybody unmuting, I'd need to look this up. Host/Co-Host cannot unmute anybody, only nag then to do so.'

Reply to
Scott

As he joins he needs to join with sound - giving Zoom permission to use his microphone. If you don't then the default is to join with mute on.

Hence the catchphrase during lockdown of "You're on mute!".

I think it prompts join with microphone enabled or not and your friend is consistently clicking the one for video only. Seen but not heard.

One I regularly use has the opposite problem of far too many people joining unmuted but with the TV on in the background (a few hundred participants so it quickly gets out of hand). Hosts can mute all but they can only unmute those who have allowed their microphone access.

This link might describe what you want:

The user has chosen not to permit it. I'll check on my wife's iPad to see exactly what it says on the present version when joining.

What version of iOS and Zoom is the problem site running?

It should be easy enough for him to unmute but perhaps a comic strip explanation or video would help. I think the microphone icon is at the bottom left and clicking on it should change the state.

But different versions seem to move things around...

Reply to
Martin Brown

Yep.

Yep, but that’s blocking incoming sound signals.

Yes, they can. They can stop all sound coming from participants from being heard by the group.

The point is, is there’s nothing coming in, there’s nothing that they can control to turn on or off.

Imagine a hose. Participants are at the tap end. They must turn the tap on for there to be any output. The host is holding the end of the hose. He can turn the water on or off there but *only* if the participants have turned the tap on. He has no access to the participants tap.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

In message snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net>, Tim+ snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

That sounds a bit like one of the analogies in 'One Song to the Tune to Another'!

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Personally, I found Zoom easier on a computer than a phone or a tablet. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I'd like to know how? I can find the option to mute individuals, but not to unmute them - just send a message asking to unmute.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

On Zoom here, you have the option to joint a meeting muted or unmuted. I'd guess the default is muted - as that makes sense. I've asked his neighbour to check this - but not sure the neighbour understood what I was talking about.

I do know on an I-pad the mute button is to the top and right of centre - unlike a PC. But suffering from dementia of some sort, he soon forgets anything after about 1950 ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

You are correct - now clarified.

Reply to
Scott

As the problem is almost certainly that he’s failing to give permission for the audio to connect at the start of the session, there’s nowt that can be done about it remotely via Zoom. The host can’t turn on or off something that hasn’t been enabled in the first place.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

He always managed with a bit of fiddling before. It's really frustrating for us - let alone him.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News