I need to scan a lot of photographs ... how?

[30 lines snipped]

I scanned some family ancestor portrait watercolours (*)(about A4 sized) at 1200dpi lossless PNG, although when I took them to be printed the print shop said "Can we have JPGs?". Sigh. Although, once framed, the copies were indistinguishable from the originals at normal viewing distance.

(* I was giving them to a relative who actually has children and wanted some copies to display).

Reply to
Huge

Most software can vary the amount of JPEG compression. I wonder how much information is lost in JPEG with minimum compression (maximum file size) compared with a lossless compression format like PNG or TIFF - or BMP which is not compressed at all (lossily or losslessly) so an m x n file is always exactly m x n x bit-depth bytes long (excluding the header!).

Using Paint Shop Pro, I can't see any difference between JPEG with compression of 1 (minimum compression) and PNG. Compression 10 may show slight ringing. Anything above 30 is getting pretty repulsive.

Reply to
NY

Just use PNG and convert it to JPEG later if required.

Reply to
Max Demian

+1. S'what I did.
Reply to