Hybrid SDD HDD, replacing with large SDD

An HP laptop which uses a small SDD 128Mb, large HDD, I have never opened it up to take a look, but might it be possible to swap out both, for a single SDD, or just swap the HDD for a SDD?

It was my fastest system, replacing a much older slower Acer laptop, but since swapping it's HDD for an SDD it is now much faster than my latest laptop.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

On 30/10/2023 22:55, Harry Bloomfield Esq wrote: Yes Jeff - it was sent to the wrong group :-(

SDD is an M2, but I am away on holiday at the moment so I'm not sure of the HP model..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

Happy holidays :-)

Best to wait for the model number as the original M2 device is different to the NVMe device and both occasionally get called SSD.

Worth looking on Youtube since somebody somewhere will have made a film of it!

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

Try to gather what info you can, for better service.

msinfo32.exe is a Microsoft utility in the OS, you can try.

Really, the sum total of utilities is wanting, so it normally takes a battery of utilities, to spell out the details.

In msinfo32.exe : Components : Storage : Disks will be the names of the disks.

It doesn't tell you there, how they're connected. Whether a SATA cable, NVMe slot, or whatever.

*******

A Linux DVD live session and inxi -F will give a summary.

The summary isn't perfect, as it might not name the HP model, so you'd have to check. It also seems to be missing the DVD drive. I just copied a few lines of it, that identify hardware.

Machine: Type: Desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: P9X79 date: 12/24/2013

Drives: Local Storage: total: 7.29 TiB used: 43.6 MiB (0.0%) ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Samsung model: SSD 870 EVO 4TB size: 3.64 TiB <=== sata cable ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Samsung model: SSD 870 EVO 4TB size: 3.64 TiB <=== sata cable ID-3: /dev/sdc type: USB vendor: SanDisk model: Ultra size: 14.53 GiB <=== USB boot stick (Linux)

In Linux, the NVMe and eMMC storage types, have distinctive strings after /dev, hinting at how they're connected. Presumably a plugged-in SD would have a distinctive name too. My optical drive should be /dev/sr0

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Thanks :-)