how to revive a concrete slab?

Hello,

Behind the garage of my 1930s house, I have got a concrete slab, approx

2m x 4m, which is showing its age - cracked, chipped, and generally horrible looking. I would put a 15mm screed on it, but unfortunately there is insufficient height below the wall vents. I can't be arsed to break the whole thing up and re-lay, but still, I'd like to cheer the area up somehow. Would be very grateful for suggestions!

Harold

Reply to
Harry Davis

"Phil L" wrote in news:bXmmu.3195$ snipped-for-privacy@fx24.am:

Hi Phil and many thanks for this. Since first posting, I've been reading up on floor-levelling compounds, some of which seem to be sold as suitable as a final external surface. What do you reckon on something like this:

?

Manufacturer suggests it can go down to 2mm thick.

Best,

Harold

Reply to
Harry Davis

Put a shed/garage on it?

Reply to
meow2222

Add snorkels to the wall vents to make them higher (and so they don't act as drains)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I would have more confidence in what they term a "latex screed" where the liquid (probably SBR) is supplied. Two reasons. One is that SBR will waterproof the surface better than anything and, secondly, the aggregate is NOT cement but some kind of lightweight mineral. I've used it for all sorts and it does indeed feather down to nothing on the edges. What is on offer here is a one pack product, which IME is vastly inferior where waterproofing is the aim. SBR doesn't come as a solid so I'm guessing this product is PVA based. I may be quite wrong of course :-)

Reply to
stuart noble

Harry Davis scribbled...

Grind it

Artic

Hello,

Behind the garage of my 1930s house, I have got a concrete slab, approx

2m x 4m, which is showing its age - cracked, chipped, and generally horrible looking. I would put a 15mm screed on it, but unfortunately there is insufficient height below the wall vents. I can't be arsed to break the whole thing up and re-lay, but still, I'd like to cheer the area up somehow. Would be very grateful for suggestions!

Sounds like an ideal area for a nice patio...deck

(Waits Medway Handyman to appear)

Reply to
Nthkentman

I don't know about that product, but cracked concrete moves quite a bit. After all its cracked due to forces pulling it apart. I was going to suggest putting a nice big shed over it actually! Costly but very useful. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

"Nthkentman" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:

I wish that were so. But it's bordered on one long side by a tall fence screening off the neighbour's side path, the other by the house, and on one of the short sides by the back of the garage. Very dismal. Also it's the only reasonable place to keep the bins!

Harry

Reply to
Harry Davis

"Nthkentman" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:

I wish that were so. But it's bordered on one long side by a tall fence screening off the neighbour's side path, the other by the house, and on one of the short sides by the back of the garage. Very dismal. Also it's the only reasonable place to keep the bins!

Oh well... Dwarf wall around the edges then and fill with shale/rocks/pond

Reply to
Nthkentman