How to punch hole in paper?

I have a circle printed on thick paper (not quite card) I have the centre marked but need to punch a hole quite accurately and about

1 cm in diameter.

Anyone got any ideas on how I could easily do this to get a clean `cut` I tried cutting out with scissors and also a `stanley knife` but wasnt too neat a job.

I only want this doing maybe half a dozen times so dont want to go buy some special tool.

Any ideas? thanks

Reply to
SS

A compass cutter might do the job; for example:-

airsmoothed

"SS" asked:

I used to punch very clean holes in card using a well-aimed Smith & Wesson Model 27 .357 magnum with a wadcutter round - until the Blair (B-liar?) government confiscated our legally-held handguns to make the streets of Britain safe!

If you can get hold of one, this will punch a hole around 9.06mm diameter, which might be close enough ;-)

Reply to
Interloper

In message , SS writes

I have punched holes in gasket paper with a *sharpened* piece of copper tube.

10mm o/d doesn't sound like something you might have lying about but scrap push chair/pram might have suitable tubing.

I did mine on a lathe but you could get 10mm in a normal drill chuck. Fine file or glass paper backed by something flat and hard to create an edge. Care as always with powered rotating work!

I punched onto the end grain of an Oak block. Might be good to push out the waste discs rather then let them plug the bore.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Fold to a point and place point under one of the holes into a paper punch, open paper out flat hole should be in the centre

Reply to
Kipper at sea

SS :

Real paper punches cost a lot of money but I got a cheap 'hobby' tool on eBay for a couple of quid. I use it to punch thumb slots in the edge of heavy paper for wall calendars. For that sort of light duty it's fine, and there's no way I could do it as well by hand. Might be worth a look?

Reply to
Mike Barnes

compass cutter laser cutter piece of 1/2" (steel) pipe ground down to make a sharp edged punch. Use e.g. lead or wood base.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Angle grinder...

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Thanks guys the piece of tube should do it once I get something near the size.

Previous suggestion of folding paper is a no no as I dont want fold marks as its actually for a clock face.

Reply to
SS

Go and buy a set of "wad punches" - they're useful and not expensive.

They're steel tubes, hardened. Some are optimised for making holes, some for making circles, depending on whether they're sharpened with the bevel inside or outside.

If you don't want to buy them, make your own. You need steel tube, ideally a hardenable high-carbon steel, or else stainless, and enough machining kit to put a neatly square edge on it. Then bevel, harden (which might involve case hardening) and sharpen. For 6 holes, you can skip the hardening. Punch through the paper onto an offcut of MDF or hardboard, but not tree timber.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Clamp it between two pieces of wood and put a 10 mm drill through.

Reply to
dennis

Nice one dennis. That would give a tidy cut. thanks

Reply to
SS

Wouldn't it be easier to use a compass from a child's geometry set, mount a craft knife or something sharpish in the pencil holder, and job done?

Reply to
GB

's wrong with the solution above? perfect for your situation and only £6

Are you a tight wad?

Reply to
Count de Monet

Put the sharpened tube in a drill press and rotate it slowly. You can then cut through almost anything soft, like cardboard, leather, fibre, plastic. I do this often. Have wood underneath!

Reply to
Matty F

One of these is only £2.99:

think of all the hassle you'll save by not having to search for a Smith & Wesson, copper tubes, compasses etc.

Craft shops have these kinds of punches as part of their regular stock.

MM

Reply to
MM

A punch is the best way to do it, a set of punches will only cost a few £'s. Something like this will do the job:

place the punch where you want the hole and tap it with a hammer. Obviously it's best to have the paper/card on a cutting board when you do this.

Reply to
Steve Firth

An old fashioned brace-and-bit type bit might do it. They have a knife near the edge. Of course if you don't happen to have one you might as well buy the proper tool!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

In message , SS writes

How far are you from Watford?

I have a set of punches

Reply to
geoff

>What's wrong with the solution above? perfect for your situation and only £6 >

At £1.99 from Proops this is an alternative - at the bottom of the page on:

mailveil13-usenet