How to measure distances?

Having high power electric cables crossing my garden having read the article in Saturdays Telegraph I would like to know how far they are from my house. Is there a way, without expensive instruments to calculate this? the though of the possibility that my property could be compulsory purchased and demolished saddens me.

Reply to
Broadback

A tape measure. Really. Hire shop if you want a long one.

Reply to
Bob Eager

If looking for horizontal distance Are you in an area where google earth has high resolution images? You could use the measure tool (Ctrl+6) to read the distance.

If looking for vertical distance Hmm, trigonometry ? - get a good Maths GCSE student to work it out.

Reply to
OG

I have read the reply suggesting use of a tape measure .What I'm not sure about is if you want to know the distance from the cable to the nearest part of your house or the distance from the point directly under the cable to the nearest part of your house ...Actually I'm not sure if both things are the same ..lol...might be not much difference if any .

If the latter then a wind-up tape measure like judges at javelin and shot putting use would do . If the former then can't suggest anything although rangefinder cameras had such a device before autofocus became popular . Obviously you'll stay well away from the cables .Electricity jumps remember .

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Can you clairfy: what sort of overhead - pylons or poles, what sort of voltage?

Presumably this is connected with the "pylons cause leukemia" think the other week? But what's this about compulsorary purchase - do you have a link?

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

The message from Broadback contains these words:

What on earth are you on about?

Reply to
Guy King

|Having high power electric cables crossing my garden having read the |article in Saturdays Telegraph I would like to know how far they are |from my house. Is there a way, without expensive instruments to |calculate this? the though of the possibility that my property could be |compulsory purchased and demolished saddens me.

It was published in Scouting for Boys years ago

Dave Fawthrop

The way I read the Telegraph article (I went and looked on the website) it implies the horizontal distance. I read that before I made the tape measure suggestion, just in case.

I would guess a hire shop has them.

Reply to
Bob Eager

|On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 13:35:35 UTC, Stuart |wrote: | |> On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 14:06:25 +0100, Broadback wrote: |> |> >Having high power electric cables crossing my garden having read the |> >article in Saturdays Telegraph I would like to know how far they are |> >from my house. Is there a way, without expensive instruments to |> >calculate this? the though of the possibility that my property could be |> >compulsory purchased and demolished saddens me. |> |> I have read the reply suggesting use of a tape measure .What I'm not sure about |> is if you want to know the distance from the cable to the nearest part of your |> house or the distance from the point directly under the cable to the nearest |> part of your house ...Actually I'm not sure if both things are the same |> ..lol...might be not much difference if any . | |The way I read the Telegraph article (I went and looked on the website) |it implies the horizontal distance. I read that before I made the tape |measure suggestion, just in case.

I read it as distance on the slope, which is a tad more complicated, so my reference to Scouting for Boys.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Link to article in the Telegraph:

Mogweed

Funnily enough, when I first read it, I mentioned it to SWMBO and quoted the same...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Are you allowed to say that nowadays .??

Reply to
Stuart

What do you mean by "High Power".

Local circuits are fairly tame. It is the 440,000 volt ones that would worry me.

John

Don't worry about it - "compulsory purchased and demolished" is not going to happen - Gordon can't afford it! ...and the other two aren't going to be around for much longer:-)

Reply to
Peter Andrews

|On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 14:59:06 +0100, Dave Fawthrop | wrote: | |>On 30 Apr 2006 13:55:13 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote: |>

|>|On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 13:35:35 UTC, Stuart |>|wrote: |>| |>|> On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 14:06:25 +0100, Broadback wrote: |>|> |>|> >Having high power electric cables crossing my garden having read the |>|> >article in Saturdays Telegraph I would like to know how far they are |>|> >from my house. Is there a way, without expensive instruments to |>|> >calculate this? the though of the possibility that my property could be |>|> >compulsory purchased and demolished saddens me. |>|> |>|> I have read the reply suggesting use of a tape measure .What I'm not sure about |>|> is if you want to know the distance from the cable to the nearest part of your |>|> house or the distance from the point directly under the cable to the nearest |>|> part of your house ...Actually I'm not sure if both things are the same |>|> ..lol...might be not much difference if any . |>| |>|The way I read the Telegraph article (I went and looked on the website) |>|it implies the horizontal distance. I read that before I made the tape |>|measure suggestion, just in case. |>

|>I read it as distance on the slope, which is a tad more complicated, so my |>reference to | |>Scouting for Boys. | | |Are you allowed to say that nowadays .??

The book is still In Print, so Yes!

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Try a 25000:1 OS map or OS get-a-map.

should be accurate to 10m (pylons are usually marked up)

john2

Reply to
john2

  • . /\ . / \ .\ / \ . \ | | . A \ | |.____________\______ _|______|_______________________ ||

Stand against the house and measure the angle A of the cable above horizontal. Pace the horizontal distance B from the house to the cable.

The distance of the cable from the observation point is B/cosA

You can measure the angle with a board, a couple of nails and a piece of string with a weight on the end:

_______________________ | | | o | | | | | | | | | | | | | | o | | | | | |___________________|___| | | | XXX XXX

Hold the board up so the nails line up with the cable then mark the position of the string against the edge of the board.

Reply to
Rob Morley

OK I will try to elaborate. I wish to measure the shortest distance from the high power cables to my property, so unless I climb the pylon, loop a tape measure onto the lowest wire, then slide it along the cable then measure that off a tape measure will not do. ;-) If it happens, it will be the electrical distribution companies who will have to pay for the compulsory purchase, hence all us electricity consumers who pay, not Gordon Brown, so it could well happen. There seems little doubt that something will be done, of course as we all know it will probably be a fudge. Anyway Central Networks have already agreed to compensate me, it is just a case of negotiating the amount. I am of a mind to postpone any agreement until July by which time the report should be published.

Reply to
Broadback

Thanks Rob, for a practical answer, I would try that, only it will give me the distance from the cable at the top of the pylons, not where they pass near my house, also of course, the land between me and the pylon slopes considerably, and there is a bl**dy pool in the way.

Reply to
Broadback

The message from Stuart contains these words:

Oh yes, and when you're good at it you get to be a queen scout.

Reply to
Guy King