How to level this surface.

One thing to check is can the "island" support this weight ? A mate of mine had a large fish tank between his kitchen and dining room on what he thought was a brick plinth (came with house when he bought it). One morning came down and found a pile of "brick cladding" on kitchen floor and found that tank stand was 2"x2" wood frame structure covered with plaster board and 1/2 bricks cemented on ot look like solid brick The weight of the tank had distorted the frame and/or wooded floor and pulled screws out of the very dodgy wood work frame causing frame to sag.

His solution was do it "proper", brick stacks under floor to support floor joists, then concrete block centre and brick outer layer plinth with a top of re-inforced concrete/cement. Also lowered the tank slightly so as to get easier access to the top for cleaning and room for air pumps filters etc.

All looked fine when sorted. I think the tank was 700l.

Reply to
Ian_m

It should support the weight. Under the brick 'island' there are the foundations/footings of the house. I will remove the ceramic tiles, just to make sure there are bricks directly underneath and not something a little less substantial.

Reply to
Grumps

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 07:20:53 +0100, Grumps wrote (in article ):

If you are going to retile, you don't really want something underneath the tiles that is going to compress a lot or the tiles may crack.

I would use a flexible tile adhesive. That has some give to cope with small movement of a wooden surface but doesn't compress very much.

The quick set mortar might be OK, but you might find the tiles coming loose.

It really depends on what you envisage for the surface.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I was going to completely forget about re-tiling. Just make the surface level and firm. Then cover with 15mm poly.

Reply to
Grumps