How to get a wire behind the ceiling?

Judging by the picture it's rather like a scaled down version of drain clearing rods. Feed one section in at a time and screw on further sections as you go. I doubt if it would work in your circumstances unless the rods are *very* flexible. I haven't actually seen one so I can't be sure. Maybe somebody else will be able to confirm or otherwise bearing in mind that you're working through a two centimetre hole.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Exactly that. Like drain rods, it comes with interchangeable ends; a hook or a loop depending whether you're fishing, pulling, pushing, whatever. Very useful; fits in my toolbox but extends to about 4m long IIRC. It is pretty flexible, and I reckon you'd just get it through the hole. But for a one-off the steel tape-measure's probably a better idea (that's what I used to use before buying the pukkah kit).

David

Reply to
Lobster

But this is on about 25p a metre, same thing really

Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I've got the 10 metre version of that kit. Works well but you need to wear gloves if you're working the rods through any kind of masonry. The GRP comes off in fine splinters and can hurt like frig!

Reply to
daddyfreddy

I was wondering when some one would suggest this idea. I was going to post it myself earlier in the day, but with an addition to it.

Use cotton instead of string, but tie a piece of bunched up kitchen roll, or tissue to it. It will increase the surface area for the suction, as I doubt that the string would have enough surface area on its own for the vac to get it sucked through.

HTH

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Drivel would Sellotape an extension bit of wire across the underside of the ceiling...

Nick

Reply to
Nick

Reply to
Bob Eager

Wow. He really wrote that. Yes he did.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Yes he wrote bell wire. Yes he did.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

How much are you willing to pay for a mouse ?

Reply to
Rick Hughes

A piece of flexible wire( electrical cable .??...use one conductor stripped out) ) poked up through one hole but bending it to keep it close to the ceiling and a hooked piece of wire poked up through the other hole to hook the flecxible piece and pull it down through the

2nd hole ..or else a piece of string with a small piece of metal on the end and VERY strong magnet below the ceiling to entice it across above the ceiling ..depends how thick the ceiling is ..doubt that would work tho'

Stuart

--

Shift THELEVER to reply.

Reply to
Stuart

| On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 13:51:23 +0000, Timothy Murphy | wrote: |=20 | >I'm trying to move a pull-down switch | >from one side of a bathroom door to the other. | >(At some time the door was hung the other way, I guess.) | >

| >The ceiling is wooden, | >and I have made a 2cm hole at the new site, | >and verified (with a bent metal hanger) | >that there is no obstruction between the two holes, | >which are about 1 metre apart. | >

| >But how can I get a wire from one hole to the other? | >To explain what I mean, | >if I tied string to a mouse's tail, | >and pushed it up through one hole, | >and put cheese up the other hole, | >the string might go from one hole to the other. | >Unfortunately we have no mice in residence. | >

| >Any suggestions gratefully received. |=20 |=20 | A piece of flexible wire( electrical cable .??...use one conductor | stripped out) ) poked up through one hole but bending it to keep it | close to the ceiling and a hooked piece of wire poked up through the | other hole to hook the flecxible piece and pull it down through the | 2nd hole ..or else a piece of string with a small piece of metal on | the end and VERY strong magnet below the ceiling to entice it across | above the ceiling ..depends how thick the ceiling is ..doubt that | would work tho'

When you have got it in leave a piece of string twice the length of the route, there to draw in other wires. You will definitely want to that route again.

--=20 Dave Fawthrop Register your mobile phone=20 IMEI *free* on

Keep the username and password. =20 If it gets stolen report it your provider to get it blocked. To hopefully get it back report on
or 08701 123 123.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

if you have a dead hard disk lying arorund, these contain magnets (in the head actuator) that should be strong enough to pull something along the other side of an inch or more thickness, assuming there aren't any steel screws or nails on the way.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

I promised to say how I fared in this endeavour. I found it much more difficult than I expected. I followed the above method, roughly speaking, but found the wire kept catching on things in the space above the ceiling; and it was surprisingly difficult to locate the wire, even when it had extended to exactly the right length.

In the end I drilled a third hole in the middle, and then used a bent hanger to pass a string through in two stages.

I didn't try any of the more subtle methods suggested - eg magnet or vacuum cleaner - as the hanger method seemed about to work at any moment ... But it took me several hours in the end.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy