How to dig holes in tree-root infested soil

I need to dig some holes in soft wet clay soil with lots of small tree roots in it. I've got a variety of spades, including a heavy narrow one for digging drains, but the roots make it very difficult to make progress. When I hit the roots with a spade they sink into the soil rather than cutting cleanly.

What's the best way of dealing with roots? Is there a special kind of spade that will cut through them easily? Should I sharpen the edge of a spade with an angle grinder?

Reply to
MrWeld

I've used a two handled post hole digger very effectively to cut through root infested soil. Sharpening won't hurt, unless you hit your foot of course. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Have you tried a grub axe?

Chris Hogg

Digging holes Aussie style

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Start with sharpening the spade, that should cope with thin roots. If that fails look at a heavy azada for relatively shallow (

Reply to
rbel

Or a mattock in English...

Regards JonH

Reply to
JonH

Well, actually no. A mattock is a lighter tool. A grub axe has a heavy mattock-type blade on one side, and an axe blade on the other. Designed especially for grubbing out tree roots and stumps.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

that's one way. I often cut them with pruning shears

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

+1 & sharpen it with an angle grinder.
Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Zappa in Italian.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Known as a Mad Axe when I used to do landscaping work...

Frank? Is that you?

Reply to
John Williamson

Indeed, I am frank.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

What you need is a mattock. Like a pickaxe with a broad chopping blade.

You cut roots with the chopping bit. Often see them at coar boot sales

Reply to
harry

Or an Adze. You may need to cut along the length of the root rather than tr y to chop straight through it so whatever you decide on should have the hea d angled to allow this.

But having a mattcok I'd sharpen it well and keep it exclusively for cuttin g the roots as hitting stones with it will not improve its cutting ability

Reply to
fred

I use a bolster (the long handled variety would make it easier) with a club hammer. Then again it's a job I rarely need to do

Reply to
stuart noble

?? you describe two forms of mattock - pick & axe

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

A grubbing mattock is the thing for digging in difficult soils. Chop up an are with it first then shovel out, repeat as necessary.

Reply to
John Rumm

Meet Ernest.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

My understanding of a grub axe:

The handle is about as long as a pickaxe handle. The head on the one I have is heavier than the one illustrated.

My understanding of a mattock:

(the long handled one).

Different folks may have different names for them.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I was digging a planting hole near some trees today & used a mattock to get through the roots.

The tool I would really like now is something to scoop the loose soil from the bottom of the planting hole. Something like a broad, scooped trowel blade set at an angle to a 14 - 16 inch long handle.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet