How much cost to run ,, an air filter ..?

Ok amma numpty ,,

I have a plug in,, mains power monitor from maplins ..

I bought it ages ago and have lost the paper and forgotten,, anything i knew about it..

I pressed a button and it told me

0.07 amps ,,

my guess is that this refers to consumption.

It sounds like a rahter minor consumtion to me, when one is trying to look after elderly lungs,, It is an air filter..

anyone care to help me work out the cost off running that devise

24/7

Cheers

Solway

Mike

///

Reply to
nuther

No, it's referring to amperage. Assuming 240v mains and unity factor load, that represents 16.8 watts (about 17 quid a year running 24/7).

Answered above (worst case, assuming a reasonable accuracy of that Maplin energy monitor when on the amperage scale).

Why don't you experiment with the buttons until it shows wattage? There's usually three to five buttons (typically 3) one of which will be a Func(tion) button with a SET and a UP button (I'm looking at a Maplin Gadget Plug-In Electricity Cost Monitor, model N67FU). The Func button cycles through the various metering modes, V, A, W and KWH total since last reset.

The other two buttons are for programming the cost of electricity into the meter to allow it to convert the KWH figure into an electricity cost value. You can program two different rates, presumably to cover off peak economy tariffs.

The display on this meter shows Power Factor and other information but, going by my two examples, the display isn't the easiest to read. You might need a good pair of prescription reading glasses and a bright torch to angle the lighting for best viewing (the wattage label is in very fine print and right up against the top edge of the display window, RHS.

If you look closely at the plug side of the meter you might find a Maplin part number or an actual model number. You can try a google search for the Maplin pages selling electricity cost (or energy usage) monitor/meters and find a match. Here's a link to the N67FU meter page from where you can navigate to the other energy saving monitors.

I couldn't see a link to a user guide document, nor could I see the 'download' button mentioned in reponse to a customer's question about downloading the user guide (perhaps this requires a log in).

HTH and HAND

Reply to
Johny B Good

That would give you around 0.3 units/Kwh per day. (Equals about four pence) Seems very small.

Reply to
harryagain

Thanks Lads,,

Im getting readings

of sixteen watts va, just now.

0.07 amps 0.21 kwh

Something about the buttons, it does not want to change function every time,,?

Anyway it seem like quite an economical device..

An envirio air purifier that I run 24/7

in my mothers room,, she came down with sticky cough quite a while ago and never got he lost ground

I attach air purifying oils on a piece of cotton,, they say that these oils help to neutralize bacteria in the air..

Its seems like a reasonable action under the circumstances.

Why would anyone want me to turn it off..

Mike.

Reply to
Scotch Mule.

Ok Johnny b good,,

I took a look at the box The Malin order code is/was L61AQ..

Model 2000MU Made in china.

.. With consideration of data in my early post

Would I be correct to say .

I costs about a third of a thirty watt light bulb to run..

Ive just had a family inquisition and they hey want to turn my mothers health fan off..

That's social workers for you..

Thanks for your time..

Mike

Scotch Mule.

====snip====

That's the UK version of the much regarded "Kill-A-Watt" meter sold in the US of A. It has 5 buttons and it's the middle one that toggles between VA and Watts.

BTW, some user guides for that meter claim the meter uses 20 watts (similarly for the US of A version where they claim 10 watts). The actual consumption of the meter itself is less than half a watt. the

20 or 10 figures are for the VA rating which is relatively high due to the use of a simple capacitor 'dropper' to provide the 5 or 10 volts used to power the electronics in the meter. I've only come across one source of technical specs for this meter where the correct half watt figure was quoted.

More like half, I did see you mention,

"Im getting readings of sixteen watts va, just now"

Unless the load is unity power factor (effectively resistive), the VA will always be higher than the true watts otherwise it's the same. IOW, that 16 VA may be a lower wattage than 16 VA reading. You can toggle the middle button to alternate between VA and Watts.

Running an electrical appliance on a 24/7 basis that only consumes 16 watts is only going to cost around 16 quid per year. It's worth remembering that most all PVRs and Sky boxes use 20 to 25 watts, often with little to no reduction in standby mode. The weekly cost is going to be about 30 pence. I wouldn't have thought there'd be any financial justification for terminating the use of the fan in the circumstances.

HTH & HAND

Reply to
Johny B Good