How hot do 45A isolators run under full sustained load?

The terminal should ideally be as full of copper as possible before tightening the screws. So so, back off the terminal screws fully, twist up the cable if stranded and double over if necessary.

On very large cables, the end should be bound with copper wire. Rarely seen these days.

The object is to make sure the screw nips the cable rather than going between the strands.

Reply to
harry

My parents' one gets hot. It's a 15A switch running a 3kW immersion heater. the front plate (plastic) gets to about 40C. When I looked inside there was nothing loose or otherwise untoward, so I bought a brand new decent (MK?) one. It got equally warm, so we decided to just ignore it.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

I've concluded MK are no longer decent - they are on my blacklist now.

I did take the old one apart - nothing obviously wrong so I am assuming it is either a poor contact pad or a weak spring.

Reply to
Tim Watts

All these regulations and nothing to test things to stay at a decent temperature.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

e:

er. the front plate (plastic) gets to about 40C. When I looked inside the re was nothing loose or otherwise untoward, so I bought a brand new decent (MK?) one. It got equally warm, so we decided to just ignore it.

The temperature it gets to depends on the ambient temperature. You must make sure the cables are properly "nipped by the terminal screws. Some terminals are too big.

Lots of electrical stuff is shit now thanks to the EUSSR and "harmonisation ". Standards have definitely fallen.

Reply to
harry

The correct wiring was used and it was firmly in the terminals, I can't see there being unnecessary resistance there. I think it was coming from the switch part.

Reply to
Mr Macaw