How clean narrow bendy metal chimney flue?

In the middle area.

Have found one site where the 1/2 flexible rods are just £12 each, approx.

Progress!

Eddy

Reply to
Eddy

Is there enough clearance around or within the cowl, to put down the chimney a heavy cord with a weight on the end?

My thoughts would be to attach this cord to the brush and pull it up with the rods trailing, rather than pushing the brush from below?

Reply to
Fredxx

Nothing is permanent...

"They" recomend having the flue swept every year. I'd be tempted to do that after the first year of use and see how much soot came down and make a decision on next year based on that. A stove burns far more effciently than an open fire, how well seasoned and what your wood is (hard wood or resin laden softwood), does have an effect though. Well seasoned dry hardwood I wouldn't expect much soot/tar from. Green, damp, softwood on the other hand...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Personally, I would put a sheet across it, as that will catch all the rubbish dislodged by the ball at the same time. BTW the ball idea comes from the Paris sewer system, where they use it to clean a tunnel under the Seine.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Indeed. But once I start removing . . . then later I have to start securing.

Thanks for good advice here. Yes, it's been a full year's use the woodburner's has had so this is the time to decide just how often a clean is really necessary.

Eddy.

Reply to
Eddy

Yes, a gap of about 2 inches nearly all the way round.

Now, that's a good idea if even the 1/2 inch flexible rods won't go up with ease. Must remember that. Having spent roughly £100 on the special flexible rods and brushes, this would be a way of ensuring they can be put to use if they don't go up by being pushed from below.

Eddy.

Reply to
Eddy

Fascinating, Colin. Anything that does the job effectively . . .

Eddy.

Reply to
Eddy