Horizontal pipe, unsupported length?

How long can a horizontal section of unsupported clay pipe be before it snaps? It carries rainwater, so is never anything like full, 99% of the weight would be itself. 4 inch diameter.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I've worked this out for you. It can be just less than the length at which the distributed weight causes a catastrophic loss of structural integrity.

Hope this helps.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Wow, you just have to admire an engineer for their ability to simplify things.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

This may answer you question:

Tensile strength of clay is very poor compared to compressive strength. Article says it should be supported its whole length. Same thing holds for un-reinforced concrete.

Reply to
Frank

Yes when in doubt add a support! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

salt glazed? ......

Reply to
Jim.GM4DHJ ...

some nice salt glazed examples there .......

Reply to
Jim.GM4DHJ ...

I did not go into depth in my looking at it. I had done some composite structural work in R&D and do know that glass has good tensile strength. Most materials are anisotropic in nature which means physical properties are different in different directions and all these properties should be considered in the materials use. You would think most engineers would know this but I have seen a lot of poorly designed materials.

Reply to
Frank

Only as fibre. Otehrwise it cracks when bent

And these pipes are not glass, only glazed. A few thou of glass ay best.

Clay is not anistoropic

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks, I'll support it.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Doesn't look shiny.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

That's about as useful as "rotate it until it snaps, then back off half a turn."

Life would be so much easier with an edit-undo function.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

You are right. I misused the term as it refers to non-uniform material like oriented composites. It is true that tensile strength is much lower than compressive strength. I was working on Kevlar composites to improve compressive strength. Had fun with epoxy resins where doubling the compressive strength of the resin had no effect on the composite short beam shear. Also did a lot of adhesion work. I raised it and lowered it. Some cases you want it better and some cases worse depending on what component was designed for.

Reply to
Frank