home wiring

May i use a single insulated copper wire - HO7V-U to make my home instalation. If i can - what ampacity can i give to this circuit if cable is sealed in the wall and run together with other cables of the same type.I dont know if that type of core is suitable for sealing in the wall.The longest distance will be 30 m and the highest ambient temp 40 C. If someone knows please give me advice!

Reply to
paulangelov

From what I can see that only comes in 1.0mm and 1.5mm, and must be used in conduit or trunking. Why can't you buy some proper cable?

Reply to
Rob Morley

it is 4mm.

Reply to
paulangelov

I already have this core .Can I use it or not?it is PVC insulated rated

70C.
Reply to
paulangelov

Not just buried directly in the wall on its own.

You can use single PVC in a conduit or twin/earth PVC sheathed cable.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Interesting job lot of cable you've been given in the last week! This single core stuff and the 4-core insulated. Interesting surprises no doubt for whoever next who comes to look at your electrics. I'd try and get someone experienced to appraise your work if I were you. (keep asking questions though)

-- Adrian C (checking headers)

Reply to
Adrian C

Might I recommend a copy of this:

will answer many of these questions and more.

Reply to
John Rumm

There is much more to designing a home electrical circuit than the questions you are asking. I'm afraid to say that under no circumstances would you be regarded as a competent person to design or install an electrical installation. You should either employ an electrician, do a full design and installation training course, or not use electricity.

Remember, it's what you don't know that you don't know that will kill you. And believe me, it WILL kill you if you attempt to proceed with your current level of knowledge.

The idea that you could select protective devices in order to match the prospective fault current and earth loop impedence dependent on whether you are using TN-S, TN-C-S or TT earthing systems is laughable. I doubt you know what any of these concepts even are. Until you do, you simply can't design an electrical system.

You might be able to find an electrician who will design the system for you and let you do the donkey work of running the cables. They will then return to connect it up and test. However, they won't let you install old cable out of a skip. They will specify which cable to use and you will use it. If you can't afford the correct cable, but can afford to kill yourself and your loved ones, then no-one can help you.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I agree the OP shouldnt do it.

For the sake of pedantry, I think the dangers, while perfectly real, are maybe exaggerated a little.

I've seen worse though, I still remember visiting a large industrial building where the (low power) machines were all connected to bits of scrap cable/bell wire/ flex joined and strung overhead. How anyone could think that was a remotely sensible idea I'll never know.

To the OP: suggest you spend a while reading here and laerning about the issues involved, and how to do it, before you do anything. Wiring your house in 1.5mm singles wouldnt be the best option. Where did you pick it up, France? Last I remember they were still using 1A speaker flex for mains.

NT

Reply to
meow2222