hole for fence post - found pipe!

(Eventually!) erecting a 1m high picket/palisade fence, posts 3.5ins/

90mm square. Dug 2 holes today aiming for about 24 inches deep. On the one which the gate will hang on have got to 18inches and found what I think is a water pipe (about 2in diameter) running across.

Question: is that deep enough to postcrete in a post bearing weight of a gate? if so is it ok to concrete that next to a pipe?

Reply to
eden

Should be OK.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Could be a water pipe - or even a gas pipe. Is it where you would expect it to be for serving your property and/or neighbouring properties - or could it be redundant?

18" is probably enough but, if you're worried, can't you cut a slot in the bottom 6" of the post to go over the pipe - or even move the post slightly to miss the pipe?

Probably best to keep the concrete away from the pipe itself by wrapping it in polythene sheet.

Reply to
Roger Mills

If it bothers you why don't you hang the gate on the opposite post?

But it rather depends on the width and weight of the gate, and the type of soil. Provide those and maybe someone can give you an answer.

Reply to
Andy Champ

Flippin heck 24" in the ground for a measly 39" high fence. What are you trying to keep out, tanks?

Seems bit big for a water pipe feeding an individual property. What colour is it? What is it made of?

More info on size and construction of gate required.

I installed a galvanised metal gate post for one of our timber gates. The gate is 4' x 5' timber with slats on one face. The post was 6' long but I had to cut 6" off the bottom as I hit bedrock when digging the hole. So it only has 18" in the ground if that. It hasn't moved in the 5 or 6 years it's been in. When the gate is closed the far end is supported, as a gate should be, but we do get some hefty winds up here.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice