Hmm tools...

Star drill.

still have one bought for my first home and used it a couple of times in the last few years to put a bigger than 15mm hole in a brick wall. Took me about 30 minutes with a 2lb hammer to go through two bricks. Not easy but did I need to buy a special drill for something I would only do once a decade?

Reply to
Alang

Alang coughed up some electrons that declared:

A perfectly good point :)

Reply to
Tim S

You may find other occasions to use it if it were easier and quicker though ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

I find if you sink the periphery cut to the same depth on the chisel then you have an all around depth indicated. Pencil line or bit of tape on the chisel shank can help for occasions where the depth is not equal to some easily identifiable point on the chisel (like the end of the flat section etc)

Reply to
John Rumm

The only time I would have used a SDS hammer drill was when I took our back wall down to get the car in. I still haven't trimmed the bricks off at one side.

I have a B&D bought in 1974 with a circular saw attachment and a B&D BD154R bought some time in the 80s. Does almost everything I need. The only things I never use are an arc welder bought for one job in 1990 and a router I bought a few years ago. Again for one job and never used again. For DIY I have a good selection of hand tools and all the time in the world.

Reply to
Alang

Alang coughed up some electrons that declared:

Heh. All those 'tuits ;-o

For my project, my pair of SDS drills (nice Hitachi 2kg and a rough but dirt cheap 8kg ALDI) are going to see:

Much tile removal, Back box sinking (loads) Finishing chases Heavy drilling little bit of core drilling random small scale concrete breaking

That's the dead-certain list. I expect I'll find a few more uses...

I agree - it's in the time. I have until next September to gut and redo the ground floor of a bungalow, or I'm dead ;-> I'll also be doing it full time without monetary employment from next February so time really does equate to money. Anything which costs 100-200 quid and turns 20 days of work into a week has more than paid for itself.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Just mostly given up. Gets done when have time. Two outside doors and two internal doors to strip and repaint next spring

I do very little of that now

Yebbut I'm semi retired. If I drop dead first it wouldn't matter if the doors got painted or not

Reply to
Alang