HELP!!! will I die from asbestos exposure?

Hi,

Today i smashed up the old water tank in my loft and took it down the dump. I then found it was Asbestos!!. Does anyone know what are the risks ive been exposed to? ive hovered the loft and at the moment the asbestos is at the bottom of my garden.

Thanks

Marc

Reply to
Marc

Course you'll die !! But I doubt from Asbestos, I've sawn it, drilled it, laid it on roofs and even cut it with a disc. Been for chest x-rays, no problems clear. Now there will be other who will frighten you to death with there replies, you'll see. Any particularly flowers you would like when it happens?

Reply to
keith_765

Thanks Keith,

Having looked on a few websites it does seem that risk through exposure to 'asbestos cement' is a liitle overhyped. Nothing i can do about it now anyway! i did think to myself that thousands of people around the world must have done a similar thing and they cant all be dead

Reply to
Marc

It's probably white asbestos - in which case no real problem. If blue or another kind there could be a risk - but most of us have been in intimate contact with asbestos anyway by various routes down the years. You only live twice and you only die once!

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Asbestos was an extremely common building material in the 1950s. The house I grew up in had drain pipes and soffit boards made of it and, even the kitchen work-tops made of some kind of asbestos compound!

I've always wondered how much of a danger that posed to my health. But I've made it to 50+ without a hitch...

Hank

Reply to
Hank

"Marc" wrote in news:1172956090.308352.102630 @h3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

You're DOOMED, I say DOOMED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are gathered here today ...............

Sorry :-)

Reply to
Terry W.

I'd settle for an asbestos coffin.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

I take it you're expecting to go somewhere warm? ;-))

Don.

Reply to
Don Spumey

Brilliant, Now that's what I call a sense of humour

Reply to
keith_765

The crematorium?

Reply to
Frank Erskine

We'll do asbestos we can to find you one....

Do you want the kind that kills all known worms?

Reply to
Andy Hall

That's Domestos, not asbestos.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

The message from "Marc" contains these words:

Unless you used an industrial vacuum, you've spread the asbestos particles everywhere...anyhow asbestos takes about 40 years to kill you, so I wouldn't worry too much! ;-)

Reply to
Anne Jackson

On Sun, 4 Mar 2007 00:39:32 GMT, Anne Jackson mused:

Incorrect. If you used a vacuum that isn't set up for use in the removal of asbestos, domestic or otherwise, you have spread particles everywhere.

Reply to
Lurch

The main risk is dying from fright.

Or possibly being prosecuted by the council.

Other than that there is no risk at all.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The guy at my local dump throws a real wobbly if you go with asbestos, I'm curious to know what you are going to with it eventually, bury it perhaps? seems to be the traditional remedy :-)

Reply to
Scabbydug

No, I've a feeling they'd charge extra.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Can't guarantee that, but with me safe in my asbestos coffin I was hoping on the outside I'd get "A set o' lean worms".

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Others have answered that, and the rational view seems to be "minimal"

That's a bit unfortunate, as the dust will be spread around. A reasonable precaution now might be to throw away the vacuum cleaner bag and any other disposable filters it may have, and wipe its insides down with a damp cloth that you then throw away. In theory, you should perhaps dispose of any clothes you were wearing that were exposed to a lot of dust, but a compromise would be to wash them all, with no other stuff in the washing machine. Theory states that fibres may remain in the washing machine.

as it is at the bottom of many people's gardens, I imagine.

Check your, and neighbouring, local authorities' asbestos policies. Some treat it as rather more dangerous than plutonium, others will let you tip it if you double-wrap and label it, and one or two will even collect it free. You shouldn't need to pay a private tip for that quantity.

Reply to
Autolycus

No my local dump just took it. I think as long as it is bagged and sealed though.

Reply to
Marc