HELP! Urgent tiling Q

Can you stick ceramic tiles to walls with grout?

Is it as effective as tile adhesive?

We have some tiles and an enormous bagof grout ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I suggest you buy some adhesive. Although some cement based grouts will stick tiles, they'll probably all come pinging off sooner or later.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I would like to remind my learned friend of the experiences of one Mungo Toadfoot when he used the wrong material for the job:

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Absolutely not

Reply to
Stuart Noble

To all - especially Si for pointing out my failing memory ... :-)

THANK YOU!

I'll send him out now.

Plumbing/tiling/cleaning/painting etc over Christmas. Eating (haunch of venison) in the caravan.

It will be all the better for not worrying about the tiles :-)

Mary

p.s. will anyone have a use for a part bag of white grout?

Reply to
Mary Fisher

There used to be a product called "Fix-n-grout" that did exactly this. It tasted just like normal grout to me..

sponix

Reply to
sPoNiX

No - use the right stuff. Use the _good_ stuff. In particular, don't be tempted by anything that's a combination fix and grout. If you're looking to save money, the dry tile cements and grouts are cheaper than the pre-mixes and it's hardly difficult to mix them up.

The difference in tiling with these products is huge. Use the right stuff, it'll make the tiling so much easier.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Sponix, I notice you seem to have a habbit of *tasting* diy substances (SDS gear box grease for one) to check similarity with other materials. Have you found any drawbacks with this method? Any glowing teeth while smiling at the mirror in the dark?

:-)

Reply to
Adrian C

Thanks, Andy, he went out and bought the right stuff. He did mention that they had some combination stuff but there's no point since we have this large, unopened bag of grout.

The cost isn't an issue. it's only a couple of square metres. But compared with the cost of the solar heating system plus piping, fittings, lagging, storage tank, immersion heater etc AND the replacement central heating boiler plus extra piping and fittings needed for that AND the eco and Farrow and Ball paint a few bob saved on powders would be insignificant :-)

He prefers to mix his own anyway ...

He will be doing, I'm glad I asked. I showed him the previous replies and he accepted the advice. Tiling is a new venture for him, a son in law who's a super tiler has moved to France.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Well, I wouldn't advise eating plumbing flux as it makes your burps taste funny for weeks.

sponix

Reply to
sponix

That sounds like the voice of experience ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I did about 21 sq ft of tiling in arkitchen using grout . Before saying 'oops' - then 'bugger'.

Got various bits of advice, (mainly 'didn't you read the label first') but I left them in place and they're still there as good as if I knew what I was doing.

Reply to
johnty